Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers
Colorado Springs took advantage of three big innings, including a three-run fourth in a 3-2 game one victory, along with a four-spot in the second and three tallies in the fourth as part of a 7-0 game two victory that featured a seven-inning complete game from starter Bubba Derby as the Sky Sox swept Wednesday night's twinbill over the Omaha Storm Chasers at Werner Park.
The Storm Chasers struck in the initial frame of Wednesday opener courtesy of 3B Ramon Torres ' RBI double to right. Colorado Springs, however, answered right back with a trio of tallies in the fourth via run-scoring knocks by DH Christian Bethancourt, C Jett Bandy and 1B Andres Blanco to go ahead 3-1. Omaha 2B Jack Lopez narrowed the deficit to one in the fourth with an RBI single, however that margin would not change in the day's lid-lifter.
Sky Sox reliever Ariel Hernandez (2.0 IP, H, R, ER, 4 BB, K) earned the win, with Quintin Torres-Costa (2.1 IP, 2 H, BB, 3 K) and Jacob Barnes (0.2 IP, H) receiving a hold and save, respectively. Royals right-hander Ian Kennedy (3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 2 K) suffered the defeat in his first start with Omaha as part of his Major League Rehab Assignment, while Scott Barlow (3.0 IP, H, BB, 5 K) tossed three shutout frames of one-hit relief.
After a quiet first, Colorado Springs roared ahead with a four-run second capped by a three-run blast from 3B Dylan Moore . The Sky Sox added to their total with three scores in the fourth to up their lead to seven, which included run-scoring hits from 2B Eric Sogard and CF Tyrone Taylor . Omaha 1B Frank Schwindel smashed his team-leading 35th double in the seventh frame, placing him two away from matching the franchise's single-season doubles record of 37 held by Steve Hammond and Clint Robinson .
Derby (7.0 IP, 3H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K) earned his sixth victory of the year with his seven-inning complete game shutout, while Omaha righty Trevor Oaks (4.0 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 5 K) suffered the defeat. Storm Chasers relievers Pedro Fernandez (2.0 IP, H) and Jason Adam (1.0 IP, 2 H, BB, 2 K) combined for the final three scoreless frames of relief.
Omaha completes their 2018 home slate on Thursday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CT. LHP Jonathan Dziedzic (7-9, 3.89) is expected to toe the rubber for the Storm Chasers, while the Sky Sox are anticipated to send former Omaha ace Aaron Brooks (9-4, 3.35) to the hill.
Tickets are still available for that contest, and may be purchased at www.omahastormchasers.com/tickets as well as by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night