Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (63-73) claimed a 9-3 victory over the Memphis Redbirds (81-55) in Thursday night's series finale at Dell Diamond. Round Rock C Juan Centeno went 3-4 with two singles and a double while driving in four runs, matching his season-high for hits and RBI in a game.
Express RHP Richelson Pena (4-2, 4.56) earned the win after spinning 4.0 innings of solid relief. The right-hander allowed one run on five hits while striking out three and walking none. Starter RHP Chris Tillman also lasted 4.0 frames, surrendering two runs, both earned, on two hits and a pair of walks. For Memphis, starter RHP Kevin Herget (9-11, 4.61) took the loss after permitting nine runs, six of them earned, on 12 hits and a walk.
Round Rock's offense put on a show in their home finale, plating seven unanswered runs in the first two innings of play. RF Christian Lopes led off the bottom of the first with a single to right before advancing to third on a base hit by DH Willie Calhoun. With runners on the corners, 1B Tommy Joseph singled on a hard-hit ball up the middle to put the E-Train ahead 1-0. The next batter, 3B Andy Ibanez, worked a walk to load the bases, setting up an RBI single from Centeno. After SS Cliff Pennington added a sacrifice fly and 2B Nick Noonan drove another run home on a single, the Express found themselves comfortably ahead at 4-0.
In the bottom of the second, Round Rock would put ducks on the pond once more after Calhoun and Joseph reached on consecutive singles before Ibanez climbed aboard on an error. With two outs, Centeno rocked a bases-clearing double into the right-center gap to make it 7-0.
The Redbirds showed signs of life in the third, putting a run on the board as they narrowed the gap to 7-1. SS Edmundo Sosa led off the side with a four-pitch walk and moved up a base on a wild pitch by Tillman. LF Wilfredo Tovar singled to move Sosa up to third for RF Rangel Ravelo, who lifted a sacrifice fly to right. In the following inning, Memphis CF Lane Thomas connected on his second homer in as many games, a solo shot to left that cut the deficit to 7-2.
The Express attacked the right-center gap again in the bottom of the fifth, stretching their lead to 9-2. Centeno smacked a leadoff single to center for his third hit of the night. Two batters later, Noonan put runners on first and second with a single of his own. CF Nick Torres then punched a line drive to the wall for a two-run double, his second two-bagger of the season.
Pena surrendered his only run in the top of the seventh when 'Birds 2B Tommy Edman tripled to center and scored on a single by Ravelo. The run-scoring knock would go down as the final offensive output mustered by either team, solidifying the 9-3 final score and a 2-1 series win for the E-Train
Round Rock finishes the season with a 30-40 record at home, with tonight's matchup with Memphis marking the E-Train's final stop at Dell Diamond this year.
The Express will round out their 2018 campaign with a four-game series against the Iowa Cubs at Principal Park in Des Moines, IA. Round Rock RHP Chris Rowley (2-3, 3.03) is set to get the starting nod in game one on Friday night against Iowa RHP Tyler Chatwood (0-0, 4.15). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- 2021 Round Rock Express Camps Schedule Unveiled
- Big Ten Central Texas Challenge Kicks off Friday Afternoon
- Major League Baseball Delays Start of Triple-A Season
- Round Rock Classic Returns to Dell Diamond on Friday
- Round Rock Express Unveil Initial 2021 Health, Safety and Ticketing Procedures