Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31
RENO, Nev. - The Reno Aces will host a Saint Mary's "Home Run for Life" ceremony, featuring Michael Brooks, a heart surgery survivor, on Friday, August 31 when the Aces take on the Albuquerque Isotopes at 7:05 p.m. at Greater Nevada Field.
Since 2014, the Aces and Saint Mary's have been partnered to showcase the "Home Run for Life" program. Once a month, a brave individual in the Northern Nevada community is honored by taking a ceremonial trip around the bases with each team lining the baselines. The ceremony symbolizes the end of a battle against adversity. Individuals honored had overcome a significant medical event in their life with the help of Saint Mary's personnel.
When Michael was 30 years old, he went to the doctor about a hernia. While they were doing testing for his hernia, they discovered that he had a bad bicuspid aortic valve. Since he was so young, the doctor's just told Michael that he had a bad valve, but nothing needed to be done at that time.
After 10 years of no symptoms, Michael started getting fatigued. He didn't pay much attention to it because of his high demanding job. His wife talked him into going to see a doctor and made an appointment with Dr. Devang Desai, a cardiologist at Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center.
After he saw Dr. Desai, it was discovered that not only did he have a bad aortic valve, he also had a large aortic aneurysm. Dr. Desai explained that surgery was needed to repair the aneurysm and the faulty valve, as soon as possible. This was a shock to Michael. He stated, "I had no symptoms, except fatigue. If they hadn't found it, it would have killed me. The aneurysm could have ruptured at work and I could have died."
On July 27th, Michael was admitted to Saint Mary's to undergo the repairs. "The hardest part was telling my children that I had to have surgery, but my family helped a lot. I could not have gone through this with them."
After 4 days in the hospital, Michael is recovering well and enjoying his life with his family.
Michael will round the bases commemorating his "Home Run for Life" in the middle of the second inning Friday night. The Reno Aces and Albuquerque players and staff will be lined up along each baseline to greet him as he makes his way toward home plate while his story of adversity and triumph is publicly announced to the stadium crowd.
Greater Nevada Field gates open at 6:05 p.m. on Friday, August 31. Tickets are on-sale now at www.renoaces.com or by calling (775) 334-7000. Follow the club all season long on Twitter (@Aces) or like the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Minor League Baseball Season Adjusted to May Start
- Aces Events at Greater Nevada Field Unveiled as Premier Event Venue
- Reno Aces and Greater Nevada Credit Union Help Youth Sports Return to Play
- Reno Aces unveil 2021 schedule
- Aces Officially Arizona Diamondbacks Affiliate for 10 More Years