Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year
August 30, 2018 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Memphis Redbirds right-hander Dakota Hudson was the runaway choice for the Pacific Coast League's 2018 Pitcher of the Year, the League office announced Thursday. Hudson netted over 85 percent of the votes of the League's field managers, media representatives and broadcasters to become the first Memphis hurler to win the PCL's top pitching honor.
Hudson is the circuit's leader in wins (13) and ERA (2.50) after tossing 111.2 innings over 19 starts for the American Southern Division champion Redbirds. Hudson allowed just one ball to leave the yard all year; he is the only pitcher in Minor League Baseball this season to toss at least 110.0 innings and allow one or fewer home runs. Opponents hit a paltry .254 (107-for-422) off him, the fifth-lowest mark among PCL starters. Additionally, Hudson struck out 87 hitters while walking 38.
The 34th overall pick of the 2016 draft was the ace of a Memphis staff that has posted the League's best team ERA on the season. Hudson was especially impressive at his home AutoZone Park, where he posted a 1.59 ERA (62.1 IP, 11 ER), going 7-1 in 10 starts. He worked a season-high eight innings on four occasions, the most starts of eight-plus innings among PCL pitchers this season. In his May 26 outing of eight innings, Hudson struck out a career-high nine hitters in Memphis' 4-0 win over Colorado Springs. Hudson, who was ranked by Baseball America as St. Louis' seventh-best prospect entering the season, allowed one or fewer runs in nearly half (9) of his 19 starts. The Tennessee native won a season-best seven consecutive decisions, over an eight-start span, from June 7 until July 19, a stretch in which he had a 1.97 ERA (50.1 IP, 11 ER).
Hudson was both a mid- and postseason PCL All-Star. He was elected the League's starting pitcher in the 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game and struck out one in an inning of work. Hudson's accomplishments this year also include a selection to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game; pitching for the U.S. Futures, he retired all three batters he faced. The Mississippi State product was rewarded for his season's efforts with his first Major League call-up on July 27, and he has been pitching out of the St. Louis bullpen ever since.
For the second consecutive season, Hudson has been named a League's Pitcher of the Year. He was tabbed the Double-A Texas League's top hurler in 2017 after recording a League-best 2.53 ERA over 114.0 innings. In his third season with the Cardinals organization, Hudson has gone 29-10 with a 2.71 ERA (292.1 IP, 88 ER) with 210 strikeouts over 70 outings (45 starts) in his professional career.
Hudson's name is now etched among Major League Cy Young winners R.A. Dickey (2007, Nashville) and Felix Hernandez (2005, Tacoma) as pitchers to have won this award. El Paso's Brett Kennedy and Hudson's teammate Daniel Poncedeleon were this year's runners-up.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.