Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Memphis Redbirds right-handed pitcher Dakota Hudson has been named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Year, the league office announced Thursday. Hudson won this award despite spending the last month with St. Louis. He received over 85 percent of the votes for the honor.
Hudson dominated the competition in his first full season at the Triple-A level. Hudson went 13-3 with a 2.50 ERA in 19 starts with Memphis before being promoted to St. Louis. In 111.2 innings with Memphis, Hudson allowed just 31 earned runs, one home run, and 38 walks, while striking out 87 batters. Opponents were hitting just .254 (107-for-422) off the righty before his promotion.
Had Hudson pitched just 0.1 more innings, he would have set the record for best ERA in a season in Redbirds' history. His 13 wins is tied for second-most in a single season in Memphis history. Although he hasn't pitched for Memphis since July 25, he still leads the PCL in wins and ERA. He had 11 quality starts this season, and had four outings where pitched eight innings, allowing one run or less.
Hudson's dominance with Memphis this season led to his first Major League call-up. He was pulled after one inning in his last start with Memphis, having been promoted mid-game. He made his Major League debut on July 28, throwing one scoreless inning, and striking out two against the Chicago Cubs. In 14 relief appearances with the Cardinals, Hudson is 4-1 with a 3.07 ERA in 14.2 innings of work.
This is just one of many honors Hudson has earned so far this season. The righty and teammate Tyler O'Neill were named to the All-PCL Team earlier this week. Additionally, Hudson was named the starter for the PCL in the Triple-A All-Star Game, participated in the MLB Futures Game, and was named the Cardinals Minor League Pitcher of the Month for June.
Last season with Springfield, Hudson was named the starting pitcher for the North Division in the 2017 Texas League All-Star Game, was named a Texas League Postseason All-Star, and was the first Springfield player in history to win the Texas League Pitcher of the Year honor. Like this season, Hudson was promoted and did not appear at all for Springfield in August and September last season, but still won the award.
Memphis and Round Rock will play their series finale tonight at 7:05 p.m. before Memphis heads to Nashville for four games to finish the regular-season. The Redbirds will begin the playoffs on the road on Sept. 5 before coming home for game three on Sept. 7. Redbirds playoff tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at www.memphisredbirds.com/playoffs.
Images from this story
Memphis Redbirds right-handed pitcher Dakota Hudson
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- AutoZone Park Golden Ticket Winner Selected
- Redbirds Announce Weekly Promotions for 2019; Single-Game Tickets on Sale Tomorrow
- AutoZone Park Teams with Budweiser to Re-Brand All-Inclusive Redbird Club
- Redbirds, 901 FC, AutoZone Park Announce Strategic Partnership with Terminix
- Win a Golden Ticket to All Events at AutoZone Park in 2019