Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings
Chris Bostick's two-out single in the bottom of the 10th inning scored the game-winning run from second base as the New Orleans Baby Cakes defeated the Nashville Sounds, 5-4 on Thursday night.
The 'Cakes took the rubber match of the three-game set to claim their sixth series win in the last seven attempts. New Orleans moved back above .500 at 68-67 heading into the final four games of the year, in search of its second winning season in the last 11 years.
The teams went back and forth throughout the night, with each team squandering leads. Nashville jumped ahead on Steve Lombardozzi's RBI single in the second inning, only for Peter O'Brien to homer in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game.
O'Brien has hit 10 home runs in August, second-most in the Pacific Coast League, and has driven in a league-leading 30 runs for the month.
New Orleans briefly went in front an inning later when Braxton Lee drew a leadoff walk, stole second, and scored one batter later on Peter Mooney's single. The Sounds answered by sending all nine batters to the plate in the sixth, plating three runs against Sandy Alcantara, who gave up four runs and nine hits in his final Triple-A start of the year.
The Baby Cakes came right back with two runs in the bottom half to draw even at 4-4. O'Brien doubled into the left field corner to cash in a leadoff single by Cristhian Adames, and O'Brien trotted home on Chad Wallach's double play grounder.
Both bullpens were stout to send the game into extra innings, as Dylan Lee and Mike Kickham combined for six strikeouts in 3 1/3 innings, while former Zephyr Chris Hatcher allowed one hit in 2 1/3 innings.
Nashville was unable to bring in its runner from second base in the top of the 10th, thanks to a fine defensive play by Adames with two outs to thwart Boog Powell's squeeze bunt attempt. Adames walked with one out in the bottom of the inning to put runners at second and third, and Bostick's soft liner to center scored Isan Diaz to give New Orleans its sixth walk-off victory of the season.
Jumbo Diaz (6-6) got the win after holding Nashville scoreless in the 10th. Jeremy Bleich (1-2) took the loss for the Sounds.
The 'Cakes open their final series of the season on Friday at 7 p.m. against the Omaha Storm Chasers.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.