Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras
METAIRIE, Louisiana - The Nashville Sounds wrapped up the road portion of their 2018 schedule in heart-breaking fashion Thursday night as they fell to the New Orleans Baby Cakes 5-4 in 10 innings. Chris Bostick's two-out single in the 10th secured the victory for New Orleans.
Metairie native Jeremy Bleich pitched the 10th inning for the Sounds and took the loss as he allowed a walk and a base hit in the final frame. Bleich induced a fielder's choice, which retired the designated runner trying to advance to third base to begin the game. He then walked Christian Adames and two batters later surrendered the game-ending base hit to Bostick.
After being shut out Wednesday night, the Sounds lit up the scoreboard early Thursday night. After Beau Taylor reached with a bunt single in the first inning and moved to second on a wild pitch from Sandy Alcantara, Steve Lombardozzi stepped up to the plate. Nashville's first baseman pulled a base hit to right field to score Taylor from second.
The Baby Cakes scored in three straight innings. They tied the game in the fourth inning when Peter O'Brien took Sounds starter James Naile deep. A lead off walk came back to haunt Naile in the fifth inning. Braxton Lee the stole second base and two batters later scored on a Peter Mooney base hit. Two runs scored in the sixth inning highlighted by O'Brien's RBI double.
The Sounds briefly took the lead in the sixth inning as they sent nine batters to the plate and scored three runs, two on an RBI single from Matt Joyce and one from BJ Boyd.
In his first start since returning from Double-A Midland, Naile issued a career-high four free passes and yielded four runs on seven hits.
The Sounds threatened to take the lead in the seventh, eighth, and 10th innings as they put a runner on third base with less than two outs. On all three occasions the New Orleans bullpen was able to wiggle their way out of the jam.
The Sounds return home for the final series of the season. Game one of their four-game series against the Memphis Redbirds is Friday night at First Tennessee Park. Right-hander Chris Bassitt (5-5, 4.35) starts for the Sounds against left-hander Austin Warner (1-1, 3.73) for the Redbirds. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
With tonight's 5-4 loss, the Sounds dropped to 70-66 on the season.
Nashville is now 9-6 in extra-inning games this season.
The Sounds finish the 2018 season with a 31-39 road record.
Boog Powell extended his hitting streak to seven games with a single in the fifth inning.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Return Home Saturday for Five-Game Homestand
- Power Continues to Surge in Nashville's Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-45) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (42-34)
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34)