Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem
Salt Lake City, UT. - The Reno Aces fell victim to the Salt Lake Bees in 10 innings on Wednesday night at Smith's Ballpark in downtown Salt Lake City. Matt Thaiss singled in the bottom of the 10th inning to score Stephen McGee, beating Reno, 4-3. Taylor Clarke shined in what is likely his second-to-last start of the season. The right-hander went 7.0 innings, allowed one earned run on four hits, but couldn't secure the victory. Offensively, Reno was led by Chris Owings. Owings went 2-for-5 with a home run and two runs scored.
It was a pitchers duel through seven innings of play. The Aces entered the eighth inning trailing by one run with two chances left to mount a comeback. Reno responded with two runs in the top of the eighth inning. Owings got the inning started with a one-out single off Salt Lake reliever Akeel Morris. Owings scored just three pitches later on a Socrates Brito double (34) to tie things up at two. Following a Kevin Cron walk, and a wild pitch to advance the runners, Anthony Recker drove in Brito with a sacrifice fly into center field. Salt Lake answered back immediately in the bottom half to tie things up at three. Reno was blanked in the top of the 10th thanks to some nifty pitching from Jeremy Rhoades. In the bottom of the 10th, Salt Lake drew two walks from Silvino Bracho and ended the game with a Thaiss single into right field. The loss brings the Aces to a record of 68-67 with five games remaining in the regular season.
Top Performers - Reno Aces
- Ildemaro Vargas (1-for-4, BB)
- Chris Owings (2-for-5, 2 R, HR)
- Taylor Clarke (7.0 IP, 4 K, 4 H, 1 ER)
Top Performers - Salt Lake
- Michael Hermosillo (2-for-5, K)
- Alberto Triunfel (2-for-3, 2 R, B)
- Stephen McGee (2-for-3, R, 2 RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Thursday August 30 Salt Lake Bees RHP Matt Koch vs. RHP Ivan Pineyro 6:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
What's on Deck: 2019 season tickets are NOW ON SALE beginning at just $96! Don't wait to reserve your seats for the Biggest Little Show on Grass. Visit the Ticket Sales Kiosk behind section 105 for more information. August 31st will kick off Fan Appreciation Weekend at Greater Nevada Field. Friday will have post-game Saint Mary's Fireworks presented by KRNV News 4. Saturday's contest will feature a Didi Gregorius Bobblehead Giveaway and celebrate the Sandlot's 25th Anniversary.
Multi-Hit: Ildemaro Vargas is currently riding a five-game multi-hit game streak. The All-PCL shortstop has been here before. From June 26 through July 2nd, Vargas had seven consecutive multi-hit games - his longest streak of the season. During that span, Vargas went 15-for-33 (.454) with two doubles and four RBI. He has recorded 45 multi-hit games this season with his game-high coming on July 19 when the Venezuelan native had a five-hit night.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.