Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas
Despite breaking the PCL-record for most strikeouts by a staff in a single-season, the Fresno Grizzlies (78-56) fell to the El Paso Chihuahuas (80-54) 6-3 Wednesday night from Chukchansi Park. In the top of the eighth, reliever Dean Deetz set down Auston Bousfield, securing punchout number 1,278. That would allow Fresno to set a modern-era league record held by the 2017 Oklahoma City Dodgers. The team is on pace to fan 1,329 hitters in 2018. Deetz whiffed a season-high five batters in two shutout frames. On the evening, the Grizzlies combined to strike out 12 Chihuahuas, expanding the total to 1,281.
An 11-hitter top of the sixth put El Paso up 6-0. Ty France spanked a single to left, knocking in Forrestt Allday (2-for-5). Then, Shane Peterson (2-for-4) clobbered a pitch over the batter's eye in center field. The three-run shot was his 11th of the season. Raffy Lopez ended the scoring with a triple to the right field wall, adding a pair.
Fresno cut the deficit to 6-3 in the bottom of the eighth. A bases-loaded walk to Jack Mayfield allowed Alex De Goti to trot home. Then, Nick Tanielu lined a double to left, plating Drew Ferguson (2-for-5) and Kyle Tucker (2-for-4). De Goti extended the current team-high hit streak to eight games. While the multi-hit night by Tucker pushed his streak to seven. In the span, he is 17-for-32 (.531) with seven homers.
With a three-run advantage, Rowan Wick buckled down and hurled a scoreless ninth, notching his ninth save and a 6-3 Chihuahuas victory. Colin Rea (3-2) was honored with the win. He went five innings, scattering three walks and a hit while whiffing three. On the other side, Brock Dykxhoorn (5-3) suffered the defeat. He was charged with five runs on seven hits, one walk and four punchouts in five and one-third frames.
Both squads conclude the series Thursday evening from Chukchansi Park with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 PT. The rubber match features Fresno righty Brady Rodgers (2-3, 6.62) and El Paso RHP Luis Perdomo (6-2, 3.52) as the probable matchup.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th