River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (6-8) blasted three home runs on Thursday evening but would drop another late inning heartbreaker to Las Vegas (13-2) by a final of 9-6.
It took the River Cats' offense until the fifth to get going, but once they got rolling they made things interesting in a hurry. Trailing 5-0 entering the bottom of the fifth, the River Cats used back-to-back homers from outfielder Henry Ramos and shortstop Abiatal Avelino to climb within two runs. The next inning, Aramis Garcia hit the River Cats' third homer of the night to tie things up, and they would take a 6-5 lead into the eighth inning.
The River Cats held a one-run lead after seven innings in each of the three games this series, but as they did on Tuesday and Wednesday, Las Vegas would storm back against the Sacramento bullpen. The defense shared the blame in this one, however, as three errors led to three unearned runs which doomed the River Cats.
Righty Enderson Franco (0-0, 9.45) will look for his first victory of the season as the River Cats play host to the Salt Lake Bees for a four-game series. The Bees will throw right-hander Alex Klonowski (0-1, 7.88). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Henry Ramos and Abaital Avelino hit back to back homers in the fifth inning. This is the second time this season the River Cats have achieved this feat. Avelino hit the second home run in both cases.
- Abiatal Avelino stole his second base on the season, taking control of the team lead for stolen bases. The River Cats now have five stolen bases on the season, three coming in the last two days.
- Sacramento's three errors on Thursday gave them 20 this season which leads the Pacific Coast League.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Full 2020 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two