Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans
METAIRIE, LA - The Iowa Cubs (8-6) hit a season-best three home runs but it wasn't enough to out-do New Orleans (7-7). The Baby Cakes came away with an 8-5 victory, Thursday at Shrine on Airline.
New Orleans got out to a 1-0 lead in the second, before Zach Borenstein helped Iowa even the score with a solo home run in the fourth, his first of the season. The Baby Cakes responded in a big way with a four-run fourth inning, getting two-run home runs from Jon Berti and Bryan Holaday.
Iowa's offense was dormant until the seventh when Wynton Bernard set the tone with leadoff double. Donnie Dewees followed with a walk and Dixon Machado pulled the I-Cubs within one with a three-run blast to left.
The Baby Cakes responded immediately with their own three-spot in the bottom of the frame. New Orleans loaded the bags with no outs on a single and two walks. The home team plated one run on a wild pitch from Alberto Baldonado and another pair on a Matt Snyder two-RBI single.
Dewees didn't let the I-Cubs go quietly as he struck a leadoff homer in the ninth, but it was too little too late as New Orleans closed out the game and secured the 2-1 series victory.
- Matt Swarmer (1-2, 6.00) allowed five runs, four earned, on nine hits and two walks through 6.0 frames while fanning seven.
- Swarmer roped a double in the fifth for his second professional hit. He is 2-for-3 on the season.
- Jim Adduci went 2-for-4, recording his first multi-hit game of 2019.
Iowa starts a four-game set in Oklahoma City tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. Follow the action at www.iowacubs.com, AM 940 or MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.