Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener
Albuquerque, N.M. - The Tacoma Rainiers had their chances on Friday at Isotopes Park, but came up shy with runners in scoring position and were shut out by the Albuquerque Isotopes for the first time in 2019, 6-0.
Tacoma (6-10) turned to Christian Bergman for his season debut after the 2017-18 Rainier was signed by Seattle on Tuesday. The 30-year-old right-hander pitched 2 2/3 innings and allowed five runs (two earned) off eight hits while striking out a pair of Isotopes (9-7).
Bergman was 17-14 with a 5.18 ERA across 42 appearances with Tacoma while sharing his time with Seattle over the last two seasons. He competed with the Chicago Cubs in Spring Training but was released in March and was a free agent until his signing earlier this week.
Right-handers David McKay (2 1/3 IP), Penn Murfee (2 IP) and Robinson Leyer (1 IP) delivered the final 5 1/3 frames with just one run allowed and combined to strike out seven.
Offensively, J.P. Crawford led off the fourth with a double, extending his hitting streak to a Rainiers-best 13 games. The former first round pick was one of 11 Tacoma runners left on base as the Rainiers finished 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position. On the flip side, Tacoma pitching limited Albuquerque to a 2-for-16 mark with ducks on the pond.
On Saturday, southpaw Tommy Milone (1-0, 3.94) will make his first appearance since cruising through seven shutout innings against Albuquerque at Cheney Stadium on April 15. First pitch is at 5:35 p.m. PDT as Mike Curto will have the call on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Tim Lopes of the Tacoma Rainiers on the basepaths
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno