Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4
Omaha right fielder Bubba Starling slapped three hits, including a home run, and scored three runs, while seven different Storm Chasers batters drove in at least one run in the Storm Chasers' 10-4 triumph over the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Friday night at the Shrine on Airline.
Omaha surged ahead with a six-run first inning that began with run-scoring doubles from 1B Frank Schwindel and RF Jorge Bonifacio . Starling later drove in a run with a single, followed by RBI knocks from SS Jecksson Flores and CF Erick Mejia .
Starling would then go deep in his next at-bat with a solo homer to right-center in the third frame after New Orleans narrow the deficit to 6-4. He later scored on DH Brett Phillips ' two-run blast to right in the fifth, which increased the advantage to 9-4. 3B Kelvin Gutierrez capped the scoring courtesy of an RBI single in the eighth.
All nine Omaha hitters collected a hit, with Bonifacio (2-5, R, 2B, RBI) joining Starling (3-5, 3 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI) in posting a multi-hit effort. Baby Cakes DH Peter O'Brien (3-4, R, HR, 2 RBI) and CF Monte Harrison (2-4, 2B, 2 RBI) paced the home side with two or more knocks.
Starling in his 11 games with the Storm Chasers this year has compiled a .342 average (13-38) along with nine runs, two doubles, two homers and six RBI. In addition to Starling's stellar hitting this year, 2B Nicky Lopez extended his hit streak to nine games with a single.
Omaha starter Ben Lively (5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K) earned the win to improve to 2-1, with Kyle Zimmer (2.0 IP, H, 2 K) and Josh Staumont (2.0 IP, H, BB, 2 K) combining for the final four frames. New Orleans righty Nick Neidert (0.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB) suffered the loss.
The two teams are slated to face off in the second game of their four-game set on Saturday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 6:00pm CT. The Storm Chasers are anticipated to send RHP Scott Blewett (2-0, 5.40), with the Baby Cakes expected to give the ball to RHP Elieser Hernandez (0-0, 1.86).
Following their seven-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Wednesday, April 24. First pitch that evening versus the Memphis Redbirds is scheduled for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Barker Keeps Indianapolis Bats at Bay to Lead Chasers to Second Straight Win
- Storm Chasers Manager Brian Poldberg to Retire from Managing
- Poldberg Earns 1,350th Career Win in Series Opener against Indianapolis
- Storm Chasers to Participate in "Homers That Help" Charity Campaign During Triple-A Final Stretch
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win