Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3
Storm Chasers second baseman Nicky Lopez continue his hot stretch at the plate with his fourth straight multi-hit effort and drove in two runs, while southpaw Jake Kalish tossed three and two-thirds shutout frames to notch his first Triple-A save in Omaha's 5-3 victory over the Oklahoma City Dodgers on Thursday evening at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Kalish (3.2 IP, 3 H, BB, 5 K) combined with starter Foster Griffin (5.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 9 K) for a 2019 team-high 14 strikeouts. Griffin earned his first Triple-A victory after fanning nine batters over five-plus frames, while Kalish notched his first career Triple-A save. Dodgers starter Dennis Santana (2.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K) suffered the defeat.
Lopez (2-4, R, 2 RBI, BB) extended his hit streak to eight and has collected two or more knocks in six of those matchups. During that eight-game stretch he owns a .500 average (17-34) with ten runs, three doubles, one triple, two homers and seven RBI.
He also scored the first run of the game, coming across in the opening frame when 1B Cheslor Cuthbert reached on a Dodgers error. DH Jorge Bonifacio 's RBI single doubled the advantage to two. Omaha would strike for a pair of tallies again one inning later when Lopez slapped a two-run single to right, extending the margin to 4-0.
Oklahoma City got on the board in the fourth courtesy of 1B Edwin Rios ' run-scoring knock to left, while CF Paulo Orlando narrowed the deficit to two with a two-run single in the sixth. Omaha C Nick Dini , however, reached on an infield single in the eight to send LF Brett Phillips home to cap the scoring at 5-3.
Cuthbert (2-5, 2B) upped his own hit streak to ten with a multi-hit effort, joined by DH Jorge Bonifacio (2-5, RBI) and CF Bubba Starling (2-4, 2B) in posting two knocks. RF Brett Phillips reached base twice while stealing two bases, and now paces the Pacific Coast League with six thefts. Rios (2-4, R, 2B, RBI) and SS Daniel Castro (2-4, BB) each collected a pair of hits for Oklahoma City.
The Storm Chasers continue their seven-game road trip with a four-game series versus the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Friday evening. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00pm CT. Omaha is slated to send RHP Ben Lively (1-1, 3.86) to the hill, with New Orleans expected to give the nod to RHP Nick Neidert (1-1, 3.60).
Following their seven-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Wednesday, April 24. First pitch that evening versus the Memphis Redbirds is scheduled for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.