Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4
A disastrous start for Nick Neidert spelled doom immediately for the New Orleans Baby Cakes, as the Omaha Storm Chasers rolled to a 10-4 victory on Friday night.
Neidert (1-2) retired only one hitter in the game, then allowed six consecutive baserunners, all of whom would come around to score, highlighted by back-to-back doubles Frank Schwindel and Jorge Bonifacio. Neidert had the shortest start by a New Orleans pitcher since Doug Mathis exited without retiring a batter due to injury on August 3, 2012 against Reno.
Peter O'Brien led an early charge to try to cut into the deficit, launching a two-run homer in the bottom of the first as part of a 3-for-4 effort.
Monte Harrison roped a two-run double into the right field corner an inning later to bring the 'Cakes within 6-4, but Bubba Starling hit a solo homer in the third, and Brett Phillips added a two-run shot in the fifth as Omaha stretched its lead back to five runs.
Ben Lively (2-1) scattered four runs and seven hits in five innings to pick up the victory, as the Baby Cakes had just one hit in eight at-bats with runners in scoring position.
The 'Cakes and Storm Chasers meet again Saturday at 6 p.m. Right-hander Elieser Hernandez gets the call for New Orleans, opposing Scott Blewett.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.