Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game
Albuquerque, New Mexico - The Aces and Isotopes battled twice tonight in the Duke City. Reno took game one behind a six-run outburst and Albuquerque took game two by a score of 4-2. The victory in game one had two major milestones; involving Jimmie Sherfy and lots of wins. Sherfy entered tonight's contests needing one save to reach 50 in his Aces career, something never accomplished by a Reno Aces player. The California Native tossed a scoreless inning, allowed one hit and struck out one to pick up the save. The win was the Aces 750th in franchise history. In seven of the 10 years the Aces have been in the Biggest Little City they have finished above .500. Robby Scott picked up his second win of the season and Jon Duplantier went 2.2 innings without allowing a hit.
Reno jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning in game two. Back-to-back singles by Abraham Almonte and Kevin Cron set the table for Yasmany Tomas. Tomas roped his second double of the year into center field to score both. Aces starter Vinny Nittoli allowed two runs in the bottom half of the first that tied things up and Albuquerque never looked back. Reno's bats went cold for the remainder of the night and the Isotopes added two runs in the fourth to secure the victory. Taylor Clarke and the Aces will head to El Paso, Texas tomorrow night for a four-game set before returning to Greater Nevada Field on April 24.
Top Performers - Reno
Kevin Cron (4-for-6, 2 R, HR)
Domingo Leyba (3-for-4, 2 R)
Jimmie Sherfy (50th Aces save)
Top Performers - Albuquerque
Brian Mundell (2-for-6, R, RBI)
Sam Hilliard (1-for-6, 2 RBI)
Bullpen (5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 6 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday April 19 El Paso Chihuahuas RHP Taylor Clarke vs. LHP Jerry Keel 6:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Even Numbers are Cool: Game one of tonight's doubleheader featured some big, round numbers. The 6-3 victory over the Albuquerque Isotopes was the 750th win as a franchise. Over that 10-plus year span, Reno has finished with a winning percentage above .500 seven out of 10 times. Additionally, Jimmie Sherfy picked up a three-out save in the 7th inning. The Aces all-time saves leader now has 50 career saves in a Reno uniform.
C-Walk After Dark: Former Aces infielder and 2017 Pacific Coast League MVP has spent the entirety of the 2019 season with the Arizona Diamondbacks. In that time, Walker has been a shining star late in the game. In the 7th inning or later, Christian Walker is batting .619 (13-for-21), with six home runs (tied for the most in the MLB), 11 RBI, and has a OPS of 2.224.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.