Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener
Oklahoma City - A six-run eighth inning broke a tie and sent the Iowa Cubs to a 10-4 win against the Oklahoma City Dodgers Friday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
With two outs, no runners on base and the game tied, 4-4, the Cubs drew four straight walks to bring home the go-ahead run.
Johnny Field followed with a three-run double to left field before Iowa drew two additional walks to load the bases once again. Zach Borenstein then connected on a two-run single to extend to a six-run Iowa advantage.
With the late offensive push in the series opener, Iowa took a 1-0 lead in the four-game series between the teams.
The Cubs (9-6) had grabbed the game's first lead on a solo homer out to left field by Johnny Field - his first of the season.
The Dodgers tied the game, 1-1, in the bottom of the inning. Paulo Orlando doubled into left field to lead off and came around to score on a RBI single by Daniel Castro.
Iowa took the lead back in the top of the fourth inning. Trent Giambrone led off with a double and Zach Borenstein followed with a RBI single to regain the lead for Iowa.
Oklahoma City (6-9) once again tied the game in the bottom of the frame. Infielder Edwin RÃ-os singled with one out before Cameron Perkins doubled, allowing RÃ-os to score and tie the game, 2-2.
A RBI triple by Iowa's Wynton Bernard and RBI single by Francisco Arcia with two outs in the sixth inning extended Iowa's lead to 4-2.
RÃ-os answered and hit a towering home run out to right field in the sixth inning to cut Iowa's lead to 4-3. The home run was the second of the season for RÃ-os, who extended his hitting streak to four games with his third multi-hit outing in four contests.
A RBI single by Jake Peter knotted the game again at 4-4 in the seventh inning.
The Cubs drew six walks in the eighth inning and tied the most runs allowed by the Dodgers in an inning this season. The eight total walks allowed by Oklahoma City in the game tied the most allowed by the Dodgers in a game this season.
The Dodgers continue their series against the I-Cubs at 7:05 p.m. Saturday on 89ers Night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Oklahoma City players and coaches will wear jerseys and hats inspired by original Oklahoma City 89ers gear. The game-worn jerseys will then be auctioned off via silent auction to benefit the OKC Dodgers Baseball Foundation.
The 89ers played at All Sports Stadium from 1962-97, winning two Pacific Coast League titles in 1963 and 1965, and two American Association titles in 1992 and 1996 before the franchise relocated to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in 1998.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.