Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs
Jon Berti and Bryan Holaday each hit two-run homers in the fourth inning, propelling the New Orleans Baby Cakes to an 8-5 win over the Iowa Cubs on Thursday night.
The 'Cakes took two of three from the I-Cubs to claim their first series win of the season.
Hector Noesi (2-0) completed five innings, scattering four hits and two walks and striking out five to earn the win. Zach Borenstein hit his first home run of the season to lead off the fourth, accounting for the only run on Noesi's line.
New Orleans scored first in the game, capitalizing on back-to-back singles by Berti and Matt Snyder with one out in the second. A passed ball moved the runners into scoring position, and Holaday lifted a sacrifice fly to score Berti.
Berti's single extended his on-base streak to 13 games.
The Berti and Holaday combo gave the 'Cakes a lead they would not relinquish in the bottom of the inning, both going deep off Iowa starter Matt Swarmer for a 5-1 advantage.
The four-run lead held until the seventh, when Kyle Keller surrendered a leadoff double by Wynton Bernard. A walk to Donnie Dewees brought Dixon Machado to the plate, who walked-off the 'Cakes with a homer in last week's series in Iowa, and did more damage with a three-run blast to bring the Cubs within a run.
But again, the Baby Cakes answered in their half of the frame with three runs of their own, keyed by Snyder's two-run single.
Dewees homered in the ninth off Jose Quijada, who otherwise held the Cubs at bay over the final 2 1/3 innings to earn his third save.
The Baby Cakes are back in action at the Shrine on Airline tomorrow, taking on the Omaha Storm Chasers in the first of four contests. Nick Neidert (1-1, 3.60) takes the ball for New Orleans, opposing Ben Lively (1-1, 3.86). First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Late Runs Send Cubs to Win in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Keel Goes Seven, Stifles Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Scores 10 to Down Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Starling, Chasers Slice 'Cakes 10-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Chases Neidert, Rolls Past 'Cakes 10-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Rain Postpones Round Rock at Memphis Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds, Express Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Postponed for Second Straight Night - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds and Missions Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Introduce "New Mexico 3-Pack" - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Canning Tosses Gem in Bees Blowout Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats cannot solve Aviators as bullpen falters again - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies canâ??t complete sweep, fall 12-1 to Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chasers Topple Dodgers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Late Homer Nips El Paso - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Omaha Wins Series in OKC with Thursday Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Falls Short in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes, Aces Split Doubleheader - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Split Doubleheader in Albuquerque, Win 750th Game - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.