Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa
The Manitoba Moose (0-1-0-0) and Iowa Wild (1-0-0-0) clashed at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa to kick off the 2018-19 regular season. The teams took a little while to find their offence, combining for just 11 shots in the first period. The best chance of the frame came when the Wild seemed to have a wide open net to tuck the puck in, but Eric Comrie came sprawling back to make the best of his 23 saves on the night. Both Comrie and his counterpart Andrew Hammond held the teams off the scoreboard through 20 minutes.
The squads found some offence in the second period, starting off with Gerry Fitzgerald finishing off a two-on-one, accepting a feed from Gerald Mayhew and firing the puck into the net. The Wild lead held until the final moments of the frame when C.J. Suess wired home a one-timer past Hammond. JC Lipon created the play with a quick feed from behind the Iowa net. The two sides went to the break tied 1-1.
Iowa regained the lead midway through the third, courtesy of a Kyle Rau shorthanded goal, set up by Justin Kloos' hard drive to the Manitoba net. The Wild added some insurance late in the contest with a power play goal from Landon Ferraro with 3:22 remaining. The Moose called Comrie to the bench with two minutes remaining, and were nearly rewarded, but Hammond came up with a key stop before Ryan Murphy launched the puck down the ice for an empty netter with 42 seconds on the clock. That tally sealed a 4-1 Iowa victory.
With his 137th appearance, Eric Comrie moved into sole possession of second on the franchise list for career games played by a goaltender.
Forward Seth Griffith played his 250th AHL game.
Defenceman Tucker Poolman has points in each of his last four AHL games with five assists.
Attendance was announced at 9,210.
The Moose have a day to regroup before taking on the Wild again on Sunday in a 3 p.m. CT matinee. Tune into the game through the Moose App or at moosehockey.com/listenlive.
Manitoba returns home to Bell MTS Place Friday, Oct. 12 for the Home Opener against the Belleville Senators at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Jets Select Neaton in the Fifth Round of the 2019 NHL Draft
- Jets Select Blaisdell in the Fifth Round of the 2019 NHL Draft
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Select Nikkanen in the Fourth Round of the 2019 NHL Draft
- Jets Select Lundmark in the Second Round of the 2019 NHL Draft
- Jets Select Heinola in the First Round of the 2019 Draft