Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1
Mathew Highmore got the Rockford IceHogs on the board first in their 20th anniversary season opener against the Cleveland Monsters at the Quicken Loans Arena, but Cleveland responded with four consecutive goals and the IceHogs ultimately fell 4-1 to their division rivals.
Rockford outshot Cleveland 25-21, but were stymied by former IceHogs goaltender, Jean-Francois Berube who made 24 saves.
Highmore started the scoring for the IceHogs with 2:53 remaining in the first period on a tap-in from a nifty passing play between Highmore, Luc Snuggerud and Victor Ejdsell. The second-year pro picked up where he left off after leading Rockford in goals last season.
Cleveland forward Eric Robinson evened the score just 1:58 into the second period, deflecting a shot from forward Zac Dalpe.
Heading into the third period with the game tied 1-1, the Monsters seized control with a three-goal-outburst.
Monsters forward Kevin Stenlund broke the tie at the 3:26 mark of the stanza on a shot from the slot assisted by Nathan Gerbe. Forward Vitaly Abramov bolstered the Cleveland lead after a give-and-go play between Abramov and defenseman Michael Prapavess, then Gerbe sealed the deal with a full-ice empty net goal.
The IceHogs will look to get back on track on the second leg of the back-to-back against Cleveland on Saturday at Quicken Loans arena.
NEXT HOME GAME: Saturday, Oct. 13 vs. Texas Stars | 6 p.m.
The Rockford IceHogs will host their home opener for the 2018-19 season on Saturday, Oct. 13 against the Texas Stars at 6 p.m. at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The first 4,000 fans in attendance to Rockford's first home game of the campaign will receive a free IceHogs calendar, courtesy of Impact Networking. Call the IceHogs front office at (815) 968-5222 or visit icehogs.com to purchase tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Get Discounted Tickets, Win Dach Autographed Jersey Friday
- Hogs Cap Homestand with $2 Beer, Magnet Schedule Giveaway
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval