Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, defeated the Rockford IceHogs, 5-2, on Saturday at The Q. With the win, the Monsters improve to 2-0-0-0 overall, tied for first place in the Eastern Conference's North Division.
Rockford grabbed an early 1-0 lead Saturday when Tyler Sikura found the back of the net for his first goal of the season at 13:53 of the opening frame on feeds from Dylan Sikura and Darren Raddysh. The Monsters responded at 14:20 of the first period when Eric Robinson scored on a feed from Ryan Collins to even the score, 1-1. Zac Dalpe notched his first goal of the season moments later at 15:31 on an even-strength marker from Alex Broadhurst, the 100th assist of his professional career, to push the Monsters lead to 2-1. Robinson capped off the stanza with his second goal of the day, a power play tally unassisted at 19:51 to give Cleveland a 3-1 lead headed into the first intermission.
In the second period, the Monsters extended their lead to 4-1 on an even-strength marker from Kole Sherwood, his first professional goal at 2:48 of the middle frame thanks to assists from Justin Scott and Paul Bittner. Dalpe followed with his second goal of the game at 18:37 of the second period, an even-strength tally from Broadhurst, to push Cleveland's lead to 5-1 heading into the final frame.
Rockford closed the scoring in the third when Lucas Carlsson scored at 7:50 of the final frame on a feed from Jordan Schroeder ending the game with a Monsters 5-2 victory.
Cleveland net-minder Brad Thiessen stopped 29 of the 31 shots faced Saturday to improve to 1-0-0, while IceHogs backstop Collin Delia stopped 26 of 31 pucks to drop to 0-1-0.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Monday road clash vs. the Toronto Marlies with full coverage, live from the Coca-Cola Coliseum, underway at 3:00 pm on Alt 99.1 and the Monsters Hockey Network.
2018-19 Monsters Hockey Club Memberships, providing fans the ability to lock in the lowest ticket prices, the best seat locations to each game, custom member benefits and an exclusive Monsters jersey, are now available! Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting ClevelandMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000 or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Alex Broadhurst and the Cleveland Monsters celebrate a goal
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement
- Monsters Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Justin Scott, Dillon Simpson, Brad Thiessen to AHL Contracts
- Monsters to Host Girls Street Hockey Clinics with Olympian Brianne McLaughlin
- Monsters Sign Forward Zach Jordan to AHL Contract