Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2
(Hershey, PA ) - Liam O'Brien opened the scoring 3:45 into the game, but the Syracuse Crunch erased a 2-1 deficit to top the Hershey Bears, 3-2 in the club's first game of the season on Saturday night at Giant Center. Bears Goaltender Ilya Samsonov stopped 28 of 31 shots in his AHL debut in front of a crowd of 10,066.
The Chocolate and White jumped out to a 1-0 lead early in the contest. With Hershey on an odd-man rush, O'Brien broke to the net and beat Syracuse goaltender Eddie Pasquale five-hole to open the scoring.
Minutes later, Hershey newcomer Sergei Shumakov was penalized for hooking at 6:46, and the Crunch later capitalized on their lone power play chance of the first period. Carter Verhaeghe roofed a cross-ice feed from Alex Barre-Boulet to tie the game at the 7:49 mark.
In the final minute of the first period, Mike Sgarbossa scored his first goal as a Bear to give Hershey a 2-1 lead into first intermission. Sgarbossa potted a cross-ice feed from Riley Barber at 19:03 to make it 2-1 Hershey. Both Barber and Colby Williams assisted on both of Hershey's goals.
Syracuse drew even at 14:02 in the second period with the lone tally of the stanza. Taylor Raddysh banged home a lively rebound after Samsonov made several stops from the low slot. Shots after 40 minutes were 23-18 Crunch.
In the third period, the Crunch again took advantage on the power play for the eventual game-winning tally. After Connor Hobbs was whistled for a slashing infraction at 4:40, Barre-Boulet scored the game-winner at 5:26. He walked the goal line along the right wing and stuffed a low shot through the pads of Samsonov.
Hershey finished the night 0-for-4 on the power play and 1-for-3 on the penalty kill. Final shot totals were 32-31 Hershey. The Bears return to the ice tomorrow for a 5 p.m tilt against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The Chocolate and White celebrate the defending Stanley Cup Champions with Washington Capitals Night at Giant Center. The Bears will wear special Capitals themed jerseys which will be auctioned off after the game. The Stanley Cup will also be on hand to view for all ticketed fans. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend
- Hershey's March 20 Game at Lehigh Valley Added to TV Schedule
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina
- Bears Comeback Late, Fall in Shootout to Bruins