P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Laval Rocket Saturday night 3-2 in their 2018-19 home opener. The P-Bruins got goals from Jeremy Lauzon and Mark McNeill while Dan Vladar made his first start of the season in net.
Despite being outshot in the period 7-5, Providence jumped out to an early lead 14:22 into play. Skating with the puck, Cameron Hughes moved the puck out to the blue line and fired a shot towards Laval goalie Charlie Lindgren. McNeill got his stick on the puck and deflected it in for his second goal in as many nights. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson earned the secondary assist on the play and Providence brought a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Laval again had the shot advantage in the second period 14-6, but neither side could find the scoreboard. The Bruins and Rocket each had golden opportunities in close during the frame, but neither side could convert. Lauzon and Zach Senyshyn peppered Lindgren with shots, but the Rocket goalie made stops on his back to keep the P-Bruins from scoring. Lukas Vejdemo had a chance from point-blank range in the final seconds, but a great pad stop by Vladar kept it 1-0 Providence after 40 minutes.
Just 21 seconds into the third, Lauzon doubled the P-Bruins lead to 2-0. After Hughes won a puck batte in the corner, he sent the puck out to Lauzon at the blueline. He fired a slap-shot through everyone and in for his first goal of the season and Providence led 2-0. Laval answered right back with their first goal of the game at 3:51, as Michael Caput snapped a shot by Vladar from the top of the left circle to cut their deficit to one. The Rocket tied things at two after a scramble in front of Vladar, as after making a fleury of saves Byron Froese jumped on a loose puck in the crease and scored at 9:48. Laval completed their comeback with 35 seconds left in the game, as a blast from Brett Kulak beat Vladar from the point and gave the Rocket a 3-2 win.
Vladar stopped 31-34 shots while Lindgren stopped 18-20. Providence was 0-2 on the power play and 0-1 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are off until Friday, when they hit the road to face the Hartford Wolf Pack at 7:15pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.