Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener
LOVELAND, Colorado - Nineteen-year-old defenseman Erik Brannstrom scored 48 seconds into overtime of his North American professional debut to give the Chicago Wolves a 3-2 season-opening win Friday night at Colorado.
Brannstrom, a 2017 NHL first-round pick by the Vegas Golden Knights, scored two goals during the game and center T.J. Tynan the other for the Wolves (1-0-0-0).
Goaltender Oscar Dansk (1-0-0) posted 27 saves to earn the victory while forward Tomas Hyka contributed two assists as Chicago spoiled the American Hockey League debut of the Colorado Eagles, who became the AHL's 31st team this summer.
Colorado goaltender Spencer Martin (0-0-1) stopped 14 shots in the loss.
The Wolves and the Eagles (0-0-1) were scoreless for more than 30 minutes before Brannstrom, after drawing a delayed penalty, walked to the top of the left circle and blasted a riser past Martin at 11:54 of the second period.
Colorado's A.J. Greer knotted the game 68 seconds later, but Tynan responded with a power-play goal from the bottom of the left circle to give the Wolves a 2-1 lead with 4:30 left in the second.
That's where the score stayed until there was 4:42 left in regulation, when Colorado forward Igor Shvyrev redirected a shot as part of heavy traffic in front of the net.
The Wolves took home the victory 48 seconds into overtime when Brannstrom skated to the dot of the left circle and unleashed a wrister that brought the entire squad on the ice to celebrate.
The Wolves and Eagles meet again at 8 p.m. Saturday and the game will be streamed for free on the new AHLTV network.
Chicago hosts its 25th home opener at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 13, against the Grand Rapids Griffins at Allstate Arena. To find great deals on tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2018
- Bears Drop Season Opener to Crunch, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Win Season Opener in a Shootout, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Outlast Marlies in Home Opener, 7-5 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Top Bears, 3-2, in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Hutchinson, Thompson Shine, But Penguins Prevail in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Earn Hard-Fought First Win of Season - Utica Comets
- Roy Scores Twice as Checkers Top Amerks 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Fall in Season Opener to Utica - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Forwards Peter Sivak and Ryan Tesink to Professional Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Name Jaycob Megna Team Captain - San Diego Gulls
- Sikura Brothers Strike, But IceHogs Fall 5-2 to Cleveland - Rockford IceHogs
- Mikhail Berdin Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Roll Past Rockford, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #1 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Brien out After Undergoing Surgery - Belleville Senators
- Puck Drops on Admirals Season Tonight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Loan G Komm & D Luukko to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Look for Back to Back Wins on Opening Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Open up Home Schedule Tonight at 6PM at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears Host Syracuse in 2018-19 Home Opener - Hershey Bears
- Condors Home Tonight with $21 Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Open 18th Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Leier from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, October 6 - Belleville Senators
- Delia Assigned to Rockford, Tomkins Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 4-1 in Season Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Throttle Stockton in Opener, 8-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Falls in Season Opener - Ontario Reign
- Stingy Berube, Strong Third Period Lift Monsters over Hogs 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores Heat First Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Stars Spoil Simon's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Open with a Loss at Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Fall to Chicago in Overtime in AHL Debut - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Wild Wins First Home Opener Since 2013 with 4-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Wolves Take 25th Anniversary Season Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Open 10th Anniversary Season with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Checkers - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.