Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2
Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 Reid Gardiner Scores on his 22nd Birthday for Wheeling MANCHESTER, NH- The Wheeling Nailers had the Manchester Monarchs on their heels during Friday night's game at SNHU Arena, but came up just short on the scoreboard. Wheeling got goals from Cam Brown and Reid Gardiner as part of a 40-shot performance. However, Michael Doherty snapped a 2-2 tie with 6:20 left, giving the Monarchs a 3-2 victory.
The lone goal of the first period went to the Monarchs, who broke the scoreless deadlock with 2:07 remaining in the stanza. Matt Schmalz bumped the puck off of the right wing wall, leading Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman ahead on a 2-on-1 break. LaVallee-Smotherman kept the puck to himself in the right circle, whipping in a wrist shot along the ice.
Manchester added to its lead in the middle frame, before the Nailers rallied back to tie things up before the intermission. Zac Lynch scored on the power play for the Monarchs at the 8:51 mark, roofing a wrist shot from the right circle. Less than four minutes later, Wheeling got on the scoreboard. Freddie Tiffels centered a pass to Troy Josephs, who had his shot stopped, but Cam Brown pounced on the rebound, punching in a goal for the sixth straight game. With under one minute to go, the Nailers got the equalizer, thanks to more hard work around the cage. Nick Sorkin had his one-timer denied, but Reid Gardiner was there to put back his 17th goal of the campaign on his 22nd birthday.
The game came down to the third period, and with 6:20 left on the clock, the Monarchs netted the winning strike. Justin Agosta floated the puck in over the offensive blueline, sending Michael Doherty in behind the defense. Doherty faked from forehand to backhand, shoveling a shot up and under the crossbar for the 3-2 final score.
Branden Komm earned the win in goal for Manchester, denying 38 of the 40 shots he faced. Will King made 22 saves on 25 shots in the defeat for the Nailers.
The Nailers will continue their road swing through New England with road games against the Worcester Railers on Saturday and Sunday, starting at 7:05 and 3:05 respectively. Wheeling will then return to WesBanco Arena for a seven-game homestand, starting on January 24th with a WesBanco Winning Wednesday against the Kalamazoo Wings. Highlight games during the homestand include Princesses & Pirates Night on January 27th, Faith & Family Night on January 28th, and 90's Night on February 2nd, starring Alfonso Ribeiro.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.