Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL.
KALAMAZOO, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings erupted for six goals on their way to a decisive 6-2 victory over the Indy Fuel on Sunday at Wings Event Center. The victory increased Kalamazoo's point streak to five games, matching a season high.
Bouncing back in a hurry after last night's tough loss, the Wings earned the night's first tally 6:43 into regulation. Forcing a two-on-one up the ice, Justin Taylor steered a pass across the ice to Tyler Biggs, who waited for a window to open up in the top of the net to cash in on his 12th of the year.
Shortly after going ahead by a goal, an offensive-zone faceoff win allowed Kyle Blaney to double the Wings' lead. Taylor knocked the puck to his left, where Blaney hauled it in, drove to the goal and roofed a backhand for his fourth goal of the season.
Continuing their offensive dominance, the Wings cracked open a three-goal lead, courtesy of beautiful puck movement in the attacking end. Brendan Bradley centered a feed to J.T. Stenglein, who one-timed a drive past the glove of Etienne Marcoux, and propelled Kalamazoo to a 3-0 lead in the first period.
Before the period came to a close and while on a power play, Indy got on the board for their first of the game. Ryan Rupert took a long shot from the wing and it changed directions off a Kalamazoo stick and bounced through the legs of Joel Martin. At the start of the second period, Indy carried their momentum from their late first-period strike and earned their second of the night. Garrett Clarke camped out in front of the net and received a perfect feed from Rupert to deposit his third of the year. Clarke's goal brought Indy to within a goal of Kalamazoo.
Kalamazoo, led by a potent power play, took complete control of the game from that point on, as Josh Pitt put the home team back ahead by a pair with his 13th goal of the season. Pitt set up at the top of the right circle and, upon catching a pass from Kyle Bushee, flung a laser into the top corner of the net, giving Kalamazoo a 4-2 edge. Pitt added to Kalamazoo's cushion with another power play goal with under two minutes remaining in the second period. Jimmy Mullin drove to the net, and his initial try was kicked aside by Marcoux. Pitt spotted the rebound, toe dragged away from a defender and zipped in his second of the contest.
The end of the second period was the end of the night for Marcoux, who was replaced by Greg Dodds at the start of the third.
Leading by three and on their seventh power play try of the night, a tic-tac-toe play in the offensive zone capped off another stellar night of scoring for Kalamazoo. Bradley corralled the puck in the right wing corner and hooked up with Mullin across the ice for an easy finish on the doorstep, putting the cherry on top of a 6-2 home triumph for the Wings.
Next: Kalamazoo @ Wheeling Nailers- Wednesday, January 24, 7:05 p.m., WesBanco Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.