Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss
Worcester, MA - The Worcester Railers HC (15-19-3-2, 35pts) dropped a 4-2 decision to the visiting Wheeling Nailers (23-16-3-0, 49pts) in front of 2,552 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. The Railers eleven game homestand continues on Friday, Jan 26 at 7:05pm on a 2-3-4 Friday vs. the Quad City Mallards.
Woody Hudson scored his team leading 14th goal of the season and Brian Bowen scored his 2nd while Yanick Turcotte picked up his ECHL leading 13th fighting major in the home loss. Eamon McAdam made 28 saves as the Railers dropped to 0-3-0-0 on their season long 11 game homestand. Wheeling picked up their 6th win in their last seven games as Jake Taylor, Cody Wydo, and Troy Josephs all had a goal and an assist for the Nailers.
Wheeling grabbed the only goal in the opening frame with a lucky bounce on the power play as Troy Josephs (6th) found a loose puck in the right circle and fired past Eamon McAdam at 12:59. McAdam made several nice stops in the opening frame as Wheeling outshot Worcester 13-11.
Worcester tied the score 1-1 just nine seconds into the second period as Nick Saracino skated down the leftwing side and sent a shot from a tough angle and goaltender Adam Morrison left a juicy rebound for Woody Hudson (14th). Yanick Turcotte (13th FM) and Jeremy Beirnes (13th FM) fought for the third time this season with another good scrap at center ice at 5:13. Wheeling would strike twice more on the power play as Reid Gardiner (21st) at 13:14 and Jeff Taylor (4th) at 15:03 each found the back of the net to end the second period. Wheeling led 3-1 after 40 minutes and outshot Worcester 22-17 through 40 minutes of play.
Brian Bowen (2nd) tipped a Matt Lane shot on the power play at 12:44 to cut the Nailers lead to 3-2. Worcester had a few chances late but Cody Wydo (15th) put the game away with an empty net goal at 19:43 as the Nailers took home the 4-2 victory.
Notes : Three Stars: 3rd star: Matt Lane (0-1-1) 2nd star: Troy Josephs (1-1-2) 1st star: Jeff Taylor (1-1-2) .
Final shots were 32-30 in favor of Wheeling. Adam Morrison (7-7-0) made 28 saves on 30 shots for Wheeling. Eamon McAdam (8-9-5) made 28 saves on 31 shots for Worcester. Mitch Gillam was the backup goalie. Worcester went 1-for-5 on the power play while Wheeling went 3-for-6. Josh Monk (inj), Ashton Rome (inj), Kyle McKenzie, Tommy Kelley, Alex Sakellaropoulos, Sean Gammage did not dress for Worcester. Mike Cornell, Jeff Kubiak, and Eamon McAdam all returned to the Railers from the Sound Tigers (AHL). Kellen Jones is currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers while Chris Langkow was recalled by the Hartford Wolf Pack. Worcester fell to 6-10-1-0 on home ice. The goal just nine seconds into the second period by Woody Hudson was the fastest goal at the start of the period in Worcester hockey history (thanks Bill Ballou). Nick Saracino (0-3-3) and Brock Beukeboom (0-3-3) each have a three-game point streak. Brian Bowen has goals in two straight games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers Come from Behind to Take Down Mariners 3-2 in a Shootout from the DCU Center
- Worcester Railers HC Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center
- The Worcester Railers HC Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster
- Worcester Railers Announce Opening Night Festivities for October 12