Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up
Norfolk, VA. - The Norfolk Admirals, proud member of the ECHL, wrap up a weekend series with the Stingrays after dropping the first of two on Friday night 3-2 in overtime.
A furious comeback in the last minute of the game saw the Admirals tie the game with less than a second remaining in regulation before falling on Friday night in the extra period.
After being stymied for 59 minutes Norfolk pulled the goalie for the extra attacker. Grant Besse wound up for a slap shot from the point and released a hard, low shot. Positioned in front of the net, Thomas Frazee tipped the puck past Parker Milner cutting the lead to 2-1. Off the ensuing draw the Admirals sent Ty Reichenbach to the bench for the extra attacker once more. With the puck in the left corner TJ Melancon sent a shot towards the South Carolina cage. Sprinting off the bench Domenic Alberga found the rebound right in front and tapped it past Milner with 0.5 seconds left in regulation. The Admirals headed to overtime for the seventh time in the last ten games.
In the extra period it was Kris Bindulis who ended the game at the 1:45 mark, giving the Stingrays their fourth straight victory over the Admirals. Norfolk managed to pick up a point for the 10th time in the last 12 games.
Forward Kelly Zajac leads the Stingray offense against the Admirals with six points (3g, 3a) in the four-game set. Zajac is currently second on the Stingrays in scoring with 28 points (8g, 20a) in 35 games. Captain Joe Devin has led the South Carolina offense in 37 games with 30 points. Devin has four points (1g, 3a) against Norfolk this season. Former Admiral Steven Whitney currently has the hot hand for the Rays with 16 points (7g, 9a) in his last 11 games. The forward netted a pair of assists last night.
Netminder Parker Milner got the call between the pipes last night appearing in his 17th game of the season. Milner is 12-3-2-0 on the season with a 2.43 goals against average and a .913 save percentage. Milner is joined in a crowded crease by Capitals prospect Adam Carlson (3gp, 0-0-0-0) and Jeff Jakaitis (17 gp, 11-5-1-0).
Last nights' game was the 12th overtime game that the Admirals have played this season, and the seventh overtime game in the last ten games. Norfolk is 4-5 in games that have ended in overtime, while going 2-1 in a shootout. Only two teams have gone past regulation more times than the Admirals through the first half of the season. Utah (14) has played more overtime games than any other ECHL team, while Colorado (13) is right on their divisional foes heels.
Quick Strike, Pt. 2: The back-to-back goals for the Admirals last night marked the fifth time in the last six games that the team has scored two goals in less than three minutes. Last nights' goals, coming 0:19 apart are the quickest that Norfolk has scored two goals in that six-game span. It is also the quickest that the Admirals have scored two goals all season long.
Since returning to the Admirals from a brief stint with the Belleville Senators (AHL) defenseman TJ Melancon has notched points in six of his seven contests with the Admirals, while posting a plus-one rating. Melancon, who has 21 points (6g, 15a) in his rookie campaign, was no stranger to the scoresheet during his junior hockey career, which wrapped up last season. In his final year with Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL) Melancon led all QMJHL defenseman in goals (19). His six goals and 21 points this season leads all Norfolk blueliners this season.
Saturday night wraps up the home portion of the Admirals January schedule. Norfolk will hit the road again for another five-game, seven day, road swing that will take the Admirals to Greenville, Atlanta, and North Charleston. After the upcoming swing the Admirals will spend most of February at home playing nine straight home games, and nine of 13 games in the month at home.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.