Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2
Norfolk, VA. - Domenic Alberga scored with less than a second left to tie the game and cap off a two-goal comeback, but South Carolina claimed the extra point as the Admirals fell 3-2 in overtime on Friday.
Norfolk scored twice in the last 0:20 of regulation to send the game into overtime on Friday night. It was the seventh time in the last ten games that the Admirals have played into overtime. Alberga and TJ Melancon both head into Saturday night riding three-game point streaks.
South Carolina first got on the board in the second period just over two minutes in. In the left-hand corner Hampus Gustafsson spun around throwing the puck towards the net. The odd angle shot managed to find a way through the legs of Reichenbach, giving the Stingrays a 1-0 lead. Just under a minute and a half later the lead would double. Tim McGauley found a loose puck in front of the net and deked around the Norfolk goaltender before tucking the puck into the net. Despite a barrage of Norfolk shots in the second period the Stingrays would hold the Admirals scoreless in the first and take the 2-0 lead into the intermission.
South Carolina's Parker Milner kept his shut out alive through 59 minutes of action, but Norfolk finally solved the goaltender in the last minute. With the goaltender pulled Grant Besse ripped a slap shot from the point that zipped past Parker Milner with 19.4 seconds to play in regulation. Trailing by one the Admirals pulled the goaltender once again. Off the ensuing draw the Admirals pushed the puck into the South Carolina zone gaining possession in the right corner. TJ Melancon threw the puck at the net, forcing Milner to kick the puck out into the high slot. Crashing the net, Domenic Alberga one-touched the puck past Milner into the back of the net, tying the game with 0.5 seconds left on the clock. For the second straight game against the Stingrays, Norfolk found themselves headed to overtime for the second straight game against the Stingrays.
In the overtime period South Carolina would claim the extra point 1:45 into the three-on-three. Kris Bindulus rolled off the right wall and snapped a shot low to the blocker side of Reichenbach, giving the Stingrays the 3-2 victory.
Both teams finished the night 0-for-2 on the man-advantage. Reichenbach made 26 saves, while Milner recorded 35 saves on 37 shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Ten Countries to be Represented When 2018 Training Camp Opens on September 28
- Admirals Agree to Terms with Forward Connor Hurley
- Reed Named Public Relations Manager and Broadcaster for the Norfolk Admirals
- Cammarata Acquired by the Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Add Forward Gialedakis