Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs couldn't recover from an early deficit, and fell to the Jacksonville Icemen, 4-2, at SNHU Arena on Marvel Night.
The Monarchs (23-14-3-1) have now dropped two-of-three contests this season against the Icemen (12-22-3-2).
The Icemen opened the scoring to take an early lead at 6:41 of the first period when Bobby MacIntyre scored his 6th goal of the season. Scott Savage took a shot from the left boards that Brendan Collier picked up at the top of the paint. Collier backhanded the puck to MacIntyre at the right post where he flipped the puck over the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Branden Komm, to put the Icemen up, 1-0.
The Icemen extended their lead with a goal from Savage at 13:04 of the first period, to make the score, 2-0. Savage grabbed the puck from behind the cage and wrapped it around the net on his backhand for a goal over Komm's glove for his 6th goal of the season.
The Icemen took a three-goal lead at 9:11 of the second period when Josh Erickson netted his 6th goal of the season. Erickson intercepted a mishandled pass from Monarchs forward, Justin Agosta, and immediately slid into the slot for a slapshot that beat Komm's glove to make it a 3-0 game.
The Monarchs got on the board with a power-play goal from Spencer Watson at 13:51 of the second period. Matt Marcinew passed the puck to Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman along the right goal line. LaVallee-Smotherman then hit Watson with a pass at the far goal post where Watson put the puck past the stick of Icemen goaltender, Colton Phinney, to make the score, 3-1.
The Icemen added to their lead when MacIntyre scored his second goal of the game just :25 seconds into the third period, to push the Jacksonville advantage to 4-1. Along the left boards, Collier threw the puck toward the slot where just inside the right-wing circle, MacIntyre sent a quick one-timer past Komm for his 7th tally of the season.
The Monarchs cut the deficit in half when LaVallee-Smotherman scored his 19th goal of the season at 10:10 of the third period. LaVallee-Smotherman tipped a slapshot off the stick of Eric Schurhamer from the middle of the blue line, to end the scoring, 4-2.
NOTES: Alexx Privitera was assessed a game misconduct at 12:40 of the first period. Manchester converted on the power play for the fourth-consecutive game. Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman extended his point streak to three games.
Images from this story
Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.