MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando
ORLANDO, FL - Stephen MacAulay scored the game-winning goal midway through overtime to lead the Florida Everblades (29-6-1-2, 61 pts) to a 3-2 overtime victory over the rival Orlando Solar Bears (17-17-5-1, 40 pts) Saturday night at the Amway Center. The Everblades now have a 12 points to four lead in the battle for the Wawa Sunshine Cup.
Stephen MacAulay sent the puck up to Clark Seymour at the center point. Seymour ripped his shot past the blocker of Orlando goaltender Cal Heeter and into the net.
John McCarron gave the 'Blades a 2-0 lead off of a great individual effort. Picking up the loose puck in the neutral zone, McCarron moved quickly to get into the attacking zone. From the right wing circle McCarron flicked his wrist shot top shelf past the glove of Cal Heeter.
Orlando would eventually get themselves on the board, taking advantage of a power play opportunity to make the score 2-1. Orlando saw its first few chances stopped by Everblades goaltender Martin Ouellette. However, Chris Crane managed to flip his rebound chance past a diving Ouellette and into the net.
Following a scoreless second period, both teams entered the third period looking to put their mark on the contest as the next goal would be huge in determining the outcome of this game, both teams attempted to find that game-changing goal.
Chris Crane netted his second goal of the night for Orlando, tying the game at 2-2. Once again capitalizing on a second chance opportunity, Crane managed to somehow corral a rebound along the left side of the crease. Left alone, Crane easily buried his shot past a sprawling Martin Ouellette.
With neither team able to find a go-ahead goal in the final minutes of the period, the game proceeded to overtime.
Following some back and forth action to begin overtime, Stephen MacAulay would take over, scoring the game-winning goal to earn the 'Blades a 3-2 win. Transitioning from defense to offense, Nelson Armstrong brought the puck into the attacking zone before finding MacAulay on the front door. MacAulay performed a deke move and slid his shot through the five-hole and into the back of the net.
Martin Ouellette was outstanding in goal for the Everblades, earning the win after stopping 35 of the 37 shots he faced. Cal Heeter also played extremely well in goal for Orlando but does suffer the loss after allowing three goals on 31 shots.
Upcoming Home Games: Friday, February 2, vs. Greenville, 7:30 p.m. For every Friday night game this season, kids eat FREE in the Breakaway Sports Pub with the purchase of an adult entree! Saturday February 3, vs. Greenville, 7:00 p.m. From 5-7 p.m., join us for the pregame tailgate part featuring live music and bounces houses for the kids!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Weekly: Rivalry with Orlando Starts up this Weekend
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors
- 'Blades Announce Updates on Renovations, Reminders for Opening Night