Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards
MOLINE, IL - The Kalamazoo Wings matched a season-high output by scoring eight goals on their way to a dominant 8-2 victory over the Quad City Mallards on Friday at TaxSlayer Center.
Showing no rust from their six days off, the Wings earned the first goal of the night just 5:24 into regulation. Mackenze Stewart ripped a long shot from the left-side blue line, allowing Justin Taylor to re-direct the drive into the goal.
Less than five minutes later, Kalamazoo added to their advantage after Ben Wilson showed off some offensive prowess in the attacking zone. Wilson danced around a Quad City skater, walked to the middle of the ice, and snuck a wrist shot over the stick side of Jake Paterson for his second of the season.
Continuing their dominance later on in the period, Tyler Heinonen earned his tenth of the year and busted the Wings' lead open to 3-0. After receiving a pass at the left-side faceoff dot from Josh Pitt, Heinonen looked up and launched a shot that powered through Paterson and trickled into the goal.
Battling late to earn a spot on the scoresheet in the first period, Quad City's Keegan Kolesar put the home team on the board with under two minutes remaining in the period. Kolesar executed a fancy toe drag near the front of the goal and zipped a shot under the blocker of Michael Garteig for his second of the year.
Though the Mallards showed some signs of life in the second period, Kalamazoo were backstopped by 13 stops from Garteig and a buzzer-beating power play goal from Jimmy Mullin. With time ticking down, a mad scramble in front of the goal left a loose puck sitting on the edge of the net, allowing Mullin to chip it over the leg of Paterson with under a second remaining in the frame. His tenth of the season sent the Wings into the second intermission with a 4-1 lead.
Just over a minute into the third, Mullin earned his second of the night after being on the receiving end of a tic-tac-toe play. Heinonen spotted Josh Pitt, whose tape-to-tape feed met Mullin in front for an easy tap in.
Kolesar tallied his second of the night on a power play just minutes later, after he freed space with a burst of speed along the wing. Kolesar drove to the goal and lifted a shot over the leg of Garteig for the Mallards' second tally of the game.
Kalamazoo weren't done with their offensive eruption, and Stewart would add two goals in less than three minutes to propel the Wings ahead by five in the third. Stewart used well-placed shots from the high slot for his second and third goals of the year. The two goals capped off a four-point night for Stewart, who was the game's first star.
Taylor sealed the blowout with his second of the night, assisted by Colin Murray, who was appearing in his first game since being acquired via trade. Taylor's goal was his 23rd of the season, ranking him second among all goal scorers in the ECHL. The goal was the Wings' eighth of the night and matched a season-high for goals scored in a single game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Kalamazoo Wings to Host 2nd Annual Fan-Designed Jersey Contest
- Joel Martin Named Kalamazoo Wings Assistant Coach
- Joe Roberts Named Broadcaster of AHL's Utica Comets
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading
- Wings Produce Finalists for Five End-Of-Season ECHL Awards