Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2
Norfolk, VA. - Grant Besse played the hero as the Admirals topped the Stingrays 3-2 in overtime in front of 4,167 people on Saturday night.
Patrick D'Amico notched a goal and an assist in the victory as seven different Admirals found the scoresheet. The victory gave the Admirals their first victory over the Stingrays this season. It was also the eighth time in the last 11 games that the Admirals have gone past regulation.
Patrick D'Amico got the Admirals on the board early on Saturday night. D'Amico picked up a puck out of the skates of Thomas Frazee on the left dot, cut towards the center of the ice and lifted a backhand that found its way through the legs of Adam Carlson, giving the Admirals the lead 1:12 into the game. Late in the first period South Carolina answered back to send the game into the first period knotted up at 1-1. Kelly Zajac, waiting in the high slot, collected the rebound of a Paul Geiger shot, sending it past Murray. South Carolina outshot Norfolk 15-8 in the first period.
South Carolina took a lead in the second when Hampus Gustafsson snapped a shot past Jamie Murray to the blocker side. The Stingray forward took a pass from Marcus Perrier before sliding towards the middle of the ice and beating Murray. South Carolina led 2-1 after the second.
Trailing in the third for the second straight night the Admirals would once again tie the game at 2-2. On the man-advantage Patrick D'Amico cut towards the front of the net and dropped the puck between his legs for Alex Pompeo. Pompeo wasted no time wristing a shot quickly past Carlson, tying the game at 2-2. The goal was Norfolk's first power play goal of the season against the Stingrays. As the third period ended the game was still tied, sending the teams to overtime for the third consecutive game.
Looking for revenge in the extra period the Admirals found it off the stick of Grant Besse. Besse took a shot from the right dot that bounced up and over Carlson before rolling to the back of the net, ending the game with 23.8 seconds left in overtime. The goal snapped a four-game winless draught against the Stingrays, and gave the Admirals three out of a possible four points against the Stingrays on the weekend.
In the Norfolk net Jamie Murray made 28 saves on 30 shots in the victory.
Norfolk hits the road for a five-game road trip starting in Greenville before heading to Atlanta and North Charleston.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019
- Promotional Details for this Saturday's Pink in the Rink Announced