Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2.
INDIANAPOLIS - All-Star center Mike Neal's third period goal at the 12:04 mark of the third period snapped a 2-2 tie and vaulted the Fuel into the victory circle Saturday night at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum as Indy defeated the Cincinnati Cyclones, 3-2.
Before a sellout crowd of 6,528, Indy captured its third consecutive victory, equaling their longest win streak of the current campaign.
The Fuel surged into a 2-0 opening period advantage when Garrett Clarke (2) and Robin Press (2) connected 5:26 apart with the Press strike stoked on the Fuel's 28th PPG of the season. Indy's 28th PPG was attained in game #36 and the midway point of the season. The 28-PPG equal the Fuel's entire output from last season.
The Cyclones rallied with a pair of goals to knot matters at 2-2 before Neal's goal-scoring heroics. The shots on goal were even at 30-apiece as goaltender E.T. Marcoux posted his 11th victory, making 28-saves.
The Fuel power play was 1-7 while the Indy penalty-killing unit continue to shine, defusing all 7 of the Cyclones man advantages. The victory was the Fuel's third in as many meetings this season against Cincinnati with all 3-victories achieved on home ice.
Indy is now 5(4-1-0) in the last 5-games; last 9(7-2-0) and 11(8-3-0) over its last 11-outings. In the process, the Fuel have inched within 1-game of the .500 plateau at the half way point at 36(16-17-3) for 35-points. They have now won 5-straight 1-goal decisions and are 8(6-2-0) in their last 8-dates within their own Western Conference Central Division.
The resurgent Fuel continue their most grueling part of the schedule consisting of 7-games in 10-days Sunday afternoon in a 3:00 pm matinee affair at Kalamazoo against the Wings with the broadcast at 2:30 pm on WFNI-AM 1070thefan.com.
The Fuel's next home appearance is on the docket for Tuesday night, January 23rd at 7:05 pm when they host their principal archrivals, the Fort Wayne Komets on "All-You-Can-Eat Night," at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.