Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime
RAPID CITY, SD - Peter Sivak finished his second hat trick of the season against his former team with an overtime winner as part of a four-point night to give the Rapid City Rush a 4-3 win over the Utah Grizzlies on Friday night.
Peter Sivak continued his stellar success against his former club by getting the Rush on the board first to start the game. With 6:15 gone by in the first, Rush All-Star Dante Salituro carried the puck down the ice on a two-on-one rush into the Grizzlies zone. Salituro dished to Daniel Leavens, who realized Sivak was trailing behind as a third option in the play. Leavens gave way to Sivak, who blasted a rocked over new Utah goaltender Sean Maguire to give the Rush a 1-0 lead (Leavens and Salituro assisted). Utah countered right back moments later on their first power play of the game when Kyle Thomas trucked towards the Rush net, pocketing his own rebound by Rush net-minder Adam Vay to knot things up at 1-1 with 8:24 gone by in the first (Ryan Walters and Austin Ortega assisted). In an awkward twist, the Grizzlies ended up with a 4-on-3 power play, and Ortega cashed in on a Taylor Richart blue line blast that he deflected over Vay's shoulder to give Utah a 2-1 lead with 5:46 left in the first (Ryan Misiak had the lone assist).
Peter Sivak brought the Rush level in the second period with his second of the night, with both teams carrying the tie score into the final period. Sivak took a cross-ice pass in the Utah zone following the expiration of his team's third power play of the game, and, from the right-wing faceoff circle, rifled a shot by Maguire to square the game up at 2-2 with 6:11 played in the second period (Gustav Bouramman and Ian Brady assisted).
Former Rush Captain Ryan Walters stuck the dagger in his former club within the opening minutes of the third to put Utah back in the driver's seat. Just 1:21 into the final frame, after a faceoff win in the offensive zone, Mitch Jones fired a blue line shot that got deflected by Walters and arced over the shoulder of Vay, putting Utah on top with a 3-2 lead (Jones had the lone assist). Shy of the midway point, however, the Rush gave the Grizzlies a taste of their own medicine and got a deflection to tie things up once again. With 11:11 left in the game, Peter Sivak rotated with the puck to the Grizzlies blue line and flung the puck towards the net, which was then deflected by Jack Walker by Maguire to square the game up at 3-3 (Sivak had the lone helper). Both teams traded punches in the final minutes, including Utah on their third and final power play of the night, but 60 minutes was not enough to determine a winner, so to overtime we would go.
Adam Vay, with the save of the year, denied Erik Higby point-blank in front of his crease to keep the game tied with around three minutes remaining in free hockey. Shortly after, Peter Sivak got the Rush the second point, and triggered a shower of hats in the process. With 1:45 left in overtime, the Rush were caught in an awkward line change, that had they touched the puck, would have led to a too many men on the ice minor in Utah's favor. No one did, but the Grizzlies took advantage of confusion in the neutral zone to break up the ice on a partial three-on-two rush. C.J. Eick led the charge for Utah, but blew out an edge trying to slam his brakes in close range of the Rush net. Weselowski recovered the loose puck and skied it to Sivak in the neutral zone, putting him on a breakaway that he finished with a backhander over an outstretched Maguire to complete his second hat trick of the season, and give the Rush a 4-3 overtime win.
Adam Vay stopped 46 of 49 shots in the contest to earn his 6th win of the season (6-8-1).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.