Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout.
Reading, PA - Reading Royals forward Brian Morgan tied the game early in the third, Michael Huntebrinker scored the winner in the shootout and John Muse made a professional-high 47 saves to boost the Royals to a 4-3 victory over the Brampton Beast Saturday at Santander Arena.
Huntebrinker and Nick Luukko scored in the shootout and Muse made two stops to end the skills competition a round early. Chris Leveille missed the net on Brampton's final shootout attempt. Muse made a low save on Cody Donaghey to begin the shootout.
In the second, third and overtime frames, the seventh-year professional Muse made 36 saves on 37 shots. He kicked aside three shots in overtime. The native of East Falmouth, MA is 8-1-0-0 with a 1.87 goals against average and .945 save percentage since returning from Lehigh Valley on Dec. 27. Andrew D'Agostini allowed two shootout goals and denied 31 shots in defeat.
The Royals drew 5,720 fans, the second-biggest crowd of the campaign at Santander Arena. The Royals helped raise money for pediatric cancer on THON Night.
The Royals scored the first two goals in the opening 5:55. Derek Whitmore sniped his sixth of the season on a turnover by Brampton. Matt Willows (2a) flung it from the right circle to the slot for Whitmore, who slammed it to the top shelf at 3:42.
Next, Wilkins fell to one knee but maintained possession. He tossed to de Haas at the right point. The rookie was wide open, walked to the right circle and delivered it to the top of the left shelf and in for his second of the season. Willows had the secondary assist at 5:55 of the first.
Scott Jacklin and Vincent Dunn helped equalize on goals separated by 1:43. Dunn tied the game at two with 7:59 to go in the first on a shot from the left post. He snuck it by Muse.
Brampton's Daniel Ciampini scored the go-ahead goal to the top right shelf at 3:05 of the second to make it 3-2 Beast. David Ling and Paul Cianfrini earned the assists.
Reading tied the game at 2:08 of the third. Morgan received the puck from Zajac and Mark Bennett had the secondary assist on the shot that came low and to the right post.
Both teams had power plays in overtime. Reading was 1-for-4 on the man up and is 3-for-9 on the power play over the last games. Brampton went 0-for-2 on power-play chances.
About the Royals: The Royals have been owned by serial entrepreneur Jack Gulati since 2014 and are in their 17th ECHL season. Proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Reading plays in the Santander Arena, located in downtown Reading, PA at 700 Penn Street. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs in eight straight seasons and are four-time division champions.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland
- Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2
- Royals Host Growlers Friday with $1 Draft Beers, Pres. by Deibler Dental
- Defenseman Sam Becker Signs with Royals
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk