5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers.
Worcester, MA - The Worcester Railers HC (15-18-3-2, 35pts) dropped a 5-2 decision to the visiting Wheeling Nailers (22-16-3-0, 47pts) in front of 5,611 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening.¬†The Railers 3-in-3 weekend on home ice concludes on a KIDS GIVEAWAY SUNDAY vs. the Wheeling Nailers at 3:05pm with the first 1,000 kids 12-and-under receiving a Worcester Bravehearts water bottle.
Littleton, MA native Brian Bowen scored his 1st professional goal and Matty Gaudreau also scored for the Railers while Alex Sakellaropoulos made 28 saves in net in his first start for Worcester.¬†Reid Gardiner scored three times to lead the way offensively for Wheeling and Adam Morrison made 28 saves as the Railers fell to 6-9-1-0 on home ice.
The Nailers struck first at 1:52 as Riley Bourbonnais (13th) sent a shot from 20 feet just over the shoulder of goaltender Alex Sakellaropoulos and inside the crossbar to put Worcester down 1-0.¬†The Railers would tie the score at 1-1 on the power play at 5:40 as Matty Gaudreau (5th) fired home a Nick Saracino rebound past Adam Morrison.¬†Wheeling went back ahead at 16:06 with a perfect crossbar shot by Jeff Taylor (3rd) at 16:06 on the power play to give the Nailers a 2-1 advantage.¬†Shots were 12-10 Nailers through 20 minutes of play.
Reid Gardiner (18th) put the Nailers up 3-1 at 4:59 of the second period as his shot from the right circle broke through Sakellaropoulos and just past the goal line for the only goal of the middle frame. ¬†¬†Yanick Turcotte (12th FM) and Jeremy Beirnes (12th FM) had a great fight at center ice with Turcotte getting the upper hand with a series of upper cuts before they both spun down to the ice at 16:03.¬†Shots were 21-17 Wheeling through 40 minutes as Worcester trailed 3-1 headed into the second intermission.
Reid Gardiner (19th) struck again just 52 seconds into the third period to give Wheeling the 4-1 advantage.¬†Brian Bowen (1st) scored his first professional goal at 4:44 with a quick snap shot from the right circle after a nice feed by Frankie DiChiara to give the Railers some life.¬†That was as close as the Railers would get as Reid Gardiner (20th) capped off his night with his third goal with an empty netter at 18:17 to give Wheeling a 5-2 road victory.
Notes :¬†Three Stars: 3rd star: Brian Bowen (1st pro goal) 2nd star: Riley Bourbonnais (1-0-1) 1st star: Reid Gardiner (3-0-3) ...Final shots were 33-30 in favor of Wheeling... Adam Morrison (6-7-0) made 28 saves on 30 shots for Wheeling.... Alex Sakellaropoulos (0-1-0) made 28 saves on 32 shots for Worcester...Mitch Gillam was the backup goalie.... Worcester went 1-for-3 on the power play while Wheeling went 1-for-2... Josh Monk (inj), Ashton Rome (inj), and Sean Gammage did not dress for Worcester.... Mike Cornell, Jeff Kubiak, Eamon McAdam, and Kellen Jones are all currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers while Chris Langkow was recalled by the Hartford Wolf Pack.... Worcester dressed 13 rookies... Worcester fell to 6-9-1-0 on home ice....former Worcester Sharks forward Riley Armstrong returned to the DCU Center as the assistant coach of the Nailers...Tommy Kelly, Frankie DiChiara, Nick Saracino, Tommy Kelly, and Brock Beukeboom all picked up assists for the Railers.
‚ÄĘ Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers HC Name Todd MacGowan Head Equipment Manager
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward JD Dudek for 2021-22 Season
- Worcester Railers HC Name Jason Franzone Assistant Coach
- Worcester Railers HC Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Defensemen John Furgele and Karl Boudrias for 2021-22 Season