Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout.
READING, PENNSYLVANIA - Daniel Ciampini led the charge with a goal and an assist for the Brampton Beast but the Reading Royals tied the game in the third period and scored twice in the shootout to edge the Beast 4-3 at Santander Arena in Reading on Saturday night.
Scott Jacklin and Vincent Dunn both scored for the Beast, while goaltender Andrew D'Agostini was rock solid between the pipes, making 31 saves.
The Royals came out flying to start the opening period and jumped out to a 2-0 lead before the six-minute mark thanks to goals from Derek Whitmore and James de Haas.
The Beast quickly regrouped and managed to tie the game before the first intermission.
Jacklin got the Beast on the board at 10:18 of the first period as he walked out of the left wing corner and tucked in his seventh goal of the season with Ciampini drawing the lone assist.
Less than two minutes later, the Beast erased the deficit and tied the game thanks to a snipe from Dunn. Mike Folkes put a heavy shot on goal that was kicked out by Reading starter John Muse. It landed right on the stick of Dunn at the bottom of the left wing circle who picked the top corner for his third goal of the season at 12:01.
Heading into the second period, the Beast had all the momentum going their way and kept their foot on the gas to earn their first lead of the game. David Ling settled a loose puck in the left wing corner and spotted a wide open Ciampini in the high slot. He sent a perfect pass onto the tape of Ciampini who sent a rocket of a one-timer into the net for his second goal of the year at 3:05.
The Beast held the lead into the third period before the Royals responded with a goal from Brian Morgan to tie the game just 2:08 into the period.
The Beast pumped Muse with 16 shots in the third period alone but couldn't find the go-ahead goal as the game went to overtime.
The Royals and the Beast each traded power play opportunities in the extra frame but both Muse and D'Agostini came up big to force the game to a shootout.
Michael Huntebrinker and Nick Luukko both scored in the shootout for Reading while Cody Donaghey and Chris Leveille were both denied by Muse, giving the Royals the victory.
NOTES: The Beast finished the game 0-for-2 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill. These two teams will square off again tomorrow afternoon at Santander Arena at 3:00PM.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brampton Beast Stories
- Beast Unveil Most Exciting Fan-Friendly Schedule in Team History
- Dunn Scores Twice But Beast Drop Season Finale to Adirondack
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers
- Piacentini Records First Pro Point in Beast Loss to Railers