Beast Drop Narrow Decision on Sunday
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Dan Leavens and Erik Bradford scored for Brampton but the Beast lost a 3-2 contest against the Wheeling Nailers on Sunday afternoon.
The Brampton Beast returned home for a Sunday match against the Wheeling Nailers. The Beast entered the contest after a terrific win the night before against the Reading Royals.
It was also Pucks and Paws day at the rink and the team was also celebrating Shawn "Stixy" Smith's 1000th professional game.
The Nailers scored the only goal of the first and it was a beauty by Nick Saracino at 6:26. The forward took the puck and wheeled around Rob Mann before tucking it home past Alex Dubeau for a 1-0 lead.
Brampton was down 1-0 at the first intermission and would trial in shots 12-9.
The second period belonged to the Beast, as they brought the game to a 1-1 tie with a wicked goal from Dan Leavens. TJ Melancon set the rush up and found Leavens who whipped the shot past Jordan ruby for a 1-1 tie at 10:37.
The Beast ended the second frame in a tie and were down in shots 20-19.
The third period saw the Nailers score a pair of goals, one on the power and one at even strength. Justin Almeida had both and put the Nailers up by a score of 3-1.
There was a fight late, as Erik Bradford swatted the puck past Jordan Ruby to pull Brampton within one, but that would be all the offense they could muster as the Beast dropped a 3-2 decision on Sunday.
Ruby claimed the win and ended the night with 27 saves. Dubeau was tagged with the loss and ended with 28 saves of his own.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Leavens (BRA) 2) Ruby (WHL) 1) Almeida (WHL) The Beast went scoreless on three power play attempts. Wheeling ended the night one-for-four. Brampton will host the Toledo Walleye for a School Day match-up this coming Wednesday. Puck drop is scheduled for 11:00 AM.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Media Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2019-20 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2020
- Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavs Ride Another Clutch Goaltending Performance to 2-1 Shootout Win at Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Drop Narrow Decision on Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Thump Admirals 5-1 in Return Home - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat Tulsa in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Clutch Koper: 'Blades Strike in Final Minute to Earn 5-4 Win - Florida Everblades
- Rays Extend Win Streak to 7 Games, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Clutch Third Period Lifts Nailers in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Koper's Late Goal Spoils Hard Fought Effort by IceMen - Jacksonville Icemen
- Jeremy Helvig Called up by Charlotte Checkers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- DiChiara Ties It in Third, Thunder Score Next Three for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Thunder Heroic on Batman Day with 5-2 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits' Lead Erased in OT Loss to Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Sting Railers Late in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor's Goal Not Enough to Spark Comeback as Growlers Top Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Glads Down Greenville 4-3 in Thrilling OT Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Growlers Sink the Mariners 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mavs Sign D-Man Roshen Jaswal to ATO - Kansas City Mavericks
- McGauley & Wagner Returns to Utah for Today's Game - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Rockford Recalls Defenseman Jack Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Everblades at IceMen, February 23, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Royals, Adirondack Meet Sunday Afternoon in Glens Falls - Reading Royals
- Dan DeSalvo Loaned to Chicago Wolves - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gage Quinney Becomes 65th Former Nailer to Reach NHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Both Games against Rush - Rapid City Rush
- 8,327 Attend Grizzlies Fight Cancer Weekend Game at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Dominate Railers in Front of 5,846 Fans - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads Early Scoring, Physical Play Downs Rush in 3-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.