Gage Quinney Becomes 65th Former Nailer to Reach NHL
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, are excited to announce that at 65th former Nailer/Thunderbird has made his National Hockey League debut. Gage Quinney reached the NHL on Saturday night for the Vegas Golden Knights, who faced the Florida Panthers at T-Mobile Arena.
Quinney was nearly a point-per-game player for the Nailers during the 2016-17 season, as he racked up 18 goals, 26 assists, and 44 points in 45 games as a rookie out of the Western Hockey League. Gage scored his first professional goal with Wheeling on October 28th of that season in a 3-2 win at Kalamazoo - a game which was decided in a shootout by fellow Las Vegas, Nevada native Ross McMullan. A couple of other highlights for Quinney in a Nailers uniform include a pair of four-point games in a six-day span, in addition to his first career hat trick, which was achieved in Elmira.
The 24-year old forward spent the entire 2017-18 season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, and proceeded to finish eighth on the club in scoring with 14 goals, 19 assists, and 33 points in 57 games. Prior to the start of the 2018-19 campaign, the former Nailer signed on with his hometown Golden Knights, which led him to the AHL's Chicago Wolves. Quinney amassed 43 points in his first season with the Wolves, which saw the team reach the Calder Cup Final. This season, Gage has tallied 14 goals, 18 assists, and 32 points, leading to his recall to Vegas.
On Saturday, Quinney was on the ice for 9:09, as he recorded one shot on goal and drew two penalties. The Golden Knights were victorious, 5-3.
Gage Quinney becomes the 65th Nailer/Thunderbird to reach the NHL and the 59th in the players category. Earlier this season, his 2016-17 teammate Kyle Flemington became the 64th to reach the NHL, when he made his debut as a linesman for a game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks on October 18th.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2020
- Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavs Ride Another Clutch Goaltending Performance to 2-1 Shootout Win at Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Drop Narrow Decision on Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Thump Admirals 5-1 in Return Home - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat Tulsa in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Clutch Koper: 'Blades Strike in Final Minute to Earn 5-4 Win - Florida Everblades
- Rays Extend Win Streak to 7 Games, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Clutch Third Period Lifts Nailers in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Koper's Late Goal Spoils Hard Fought Effort by IceMen - Jacksonville IceMen
- Jeremy Helvig Called up by Charlotte Checkers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- DiChiara Ties It in Third, Thunder Score Next Three for 5-2 Win - Reading Royals
- Thunder Heroic on Batman Day with 5-2 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits' Lead Erased in OT Loss to Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Sting Railers Late in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor's Goal Not Enough to Spark Comeback as Growlers Top Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Glads Down Greenville 4-3 in Thrilling OT Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Growlers Sink the Mariners 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mavs Sign D-Man Roshen Jaswal to ATO - Kansas City Mavericks
- McGauley & Wagner Returns to Utah for Today's Game - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Rockford Recalls Defenseman Jack Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Everblades at IceMen, February 23, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals, Adirondack Meet Sunday Afternoon in Glens Falls - Reading Royals
- Dan DeSalvo Loaned to Chicago Wolves - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gage Quinney Becomes 65th Former Nailer to Reach NHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Strike Early, Take Both Games against Rush - Rapid City Rush
- 8,327 Attend Grizzlies Fight Cancer Weekend Game at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Swamp Rabbits Dominate Railers in Front of 5,846 Fans - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads Early Scoring, Physical Play Downs Rush in 3-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.