Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals (21-17-2-0, 44 pts., 4th North) look to harness the force of their home fans on Star Wars Night against the Brampton Beast (16-17-1-2, 35 pts., T-5th North) Saturday at Santander Arena. Reading wears Star Wars jerseys and it's also THON Night; fans that purchase tickets through this link can help Reading raise $5 a ticket for pediatric cancer and THON.
Reading has a 14-7-0-0 record at home, best in the North Division.
The Royals are coming off a 6-2 victory against Manchester last Sunday and the team scored five in the second period, the most by Reading in a frame this season. Brampton has won consecutive games since enduring a six-game losing streak. The Beast defeated Adirondack, 4-1, Friday in New York.
Saturday's showdown is the first Royals game since Monday's CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic. Reading's Michael Huntebrinker scored a goal in the All-Star showcase, but the North Division lost to the South in a 3-on-3 format.
Up Next - Time change reminder and free ticket giveaway The Royals remind fans that Sunday's game against the Beast has been moved to a 3 p.m. start time to accommodate the Eagles' NFC Championship game. Sunday's Royals game is expected to end around 5:30 p.m., more than an hour before kickoff. Meet a bunch of local mascots with Mascot Mania on Slapshot's Birthday. Plus, it's $5 Green Zone tickets and a 4 for $44 Family Day, presented by Safe Berks, Berks Packing and Coca-Cola. It's also a postgame skate after the game, presented by Body Zone.
Post all-star break Royals goaltender John Muse is 7-1-0-0 since returning from Lehigh Valley after Christmas, boosting to a 12-3-1-0 record. He's third in the league with a 2.17 GAA and second with a .933 save percentage.
Matt Willows tops active Reading players in goals (tied with 13), assists (21), points (34) and penalty minutes (36).
Nolan Zajac tops the defense with nine goals and 23 points. Nick Luukko had 20 points all of last season and is already at 16 this campaign (3g).
Fox's strong impression In his second game with the Royals, forward Dillan Fox recorded his first ECHL goal and three points Sunday at Manchester. Fox was the leading goal scorer in the SPHL (15g) when he signed with Reading on Jan. 11. In his time with Mississippi (SPHL), Fox hit three points on four occasions.
The Hummelstown, PA native played four seasons of NCAA Division III hockey at SUNY-Plattsburgh. He has combined for 25 points in 27 games this season.
Scouting Brampton Matt Petgrave was Brampton's representative at the CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic in Indianapolis for Team North and leads the team's defenseman with 13 assists (18 pts.). The Beast's leading scorer, Chris Leveille, has 12 goals. He and Brandon Marino each lit up Adirondack for three points Friday to stay tied for the team lead with 33 points.
Friday, Beast goaltender Zach Fucale stopped 26 of 27 shots in the 4-1 win at Adirondack. Five netminders have played for the Beast this season. Andrew D'Agostini (6-6-0-1, 3.30 GAA, .898 sv.%) and Fucale (3-4-0-0, 2.76 GAA, .912 sv.%) are on the active roster.
Head-to-head matchups The Royals are 1-2-0-0 in the series and defeated the Beast, 3-2, in the last matchup on Jan. 5. Ryan Penny, Chris McCarthy and Derek Whitmore scored. Whitmore has five goals this season and that strike is his only against a team other than Adirondack. John Muse made 42 saves.
Previously, Brampton's Alex Foster recorded three goals in the first two games of the series and Brandon Marino had three assists.
Muse is 1-1-0-0 against the Beast and has allowed five goals. Andrew D'Agostini dropped the last game with three goals allowed on 31 shots.
Reading has yet to see goaltender Zach Fucale, who won four games against the Royals in the 2017 Kelly Cup Playoffs to eliminate Reading in the North Division Semifinals.
G Marcus Hogberg is 2-0-0-0 against Reading but is up in the AHL with Belleville.
About the Royals: The Royals have been owned by serial entrepreneur Jack Gulati since 2014 and are in their 17th ECHL season. Proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Reading plays in the Santander Arena, located in downtown Reading, PA at 700 Penn Street. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs in eight straight seasons and are four-time division champions.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return