Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK.
KALAMAZOO, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings had a three-goal lead in the final three minutes of regulation, but the Quad City Mallards pulled of the unlikeliest of comebacks during Kalamazoo's 5-4 shootout loss Saturday at Wings Event Center.
Picking up where they left of a night before, the Wings needed only 4:11 of gameplay to earn the first goal of the night. Winning a faceoff in the offensive zone, Josh Pitt got the puck back to Sean O'Rourke, who fired a long wrister from the line. His shot was re-directed in front by Tyler Heinonen, whose tip sailed past Jake Paterson and into the back of the net for the lone tally of the first period.
After ten choppy minutes passed in the second period, Kalamazoo added to their advantage, courtesy of Charlie Vasaturo's first goal of the season. Winning another offensive-zone draw, Pitt pulled the puck back to Vasaturo, who wasted no time before uncorking a slap shot which flew over the glove of Paterson and into the top corner.
Less than three minutes later, Kalamazoo earned an insurance tally after seamless transition offense through the neutral zone. Kyle Blaney knocked down the puck and gained the Mallards' zone on the left side. He patiently waited for Tyler Biggs to join the rush before feeding him a high-slot feed, allowing Biggs to scope the top shelf for his 11th of the year.
The Wings' 3-0 lead set the tone for what was a wild third period, beginning with Keegan Kolesar's power play goal at the 2:29 mark. Kolesar earned his fourth of the season after a nice passing play from Sam Warning set up Kolesar near the net of Joel Martin.
Kalamazoo re-gained their three-goal lead just two and a half minutes later on a seeing-eye shot from Aaron Irving. Hauling in the puck along the left wing side, Irving spun the puck to the goal from a tight angle and elevated it over the stick-side shoulder of Paterson and into the net.
With under three minutes remaining, Matt Pohlkamp earned a breakaway after a long clearance from the Quad City defensive end landed on his tape. Pohlkamp walked in uncontested and flung a wrist shot under the glove of Martin to make it 4-2 in the closing minutes.
Pulling Paterson in favor of an extra attacker, Kolesar narrowed the margin to a goal with his second of the night and fourth in two games against Kalamazoo. He walked across the middle of the ice with the puck on his backhand and wired a try into the top corner, beating Martin.
Down by a goal and with Paterson again on the bench, Quad City controlled in the Wings' zone and eventually generated the tying goal. Kyle Follmer reeled in a pass at the blue line and rifled a slap shot through traffic and around a screened Martin to deadlock the game at four with 1:03 remaining in regulation.
Follmer's goal eventually forced overtime, but neither team could break the tie in the sudden death period. The 65-minute stalemate required a shootout to determine a winner.
After both teams were held scoreless in the first six rounds of the shootout, Chris Izmirlian hopped over the wall and registered the game winner for the Mallards. His quick shot beat Martin to the stick side and capped off the unlikely comeback by the visitors.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 22, 2018
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Cyclones Outlast Mallards in Overtime 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- LEAVEN'S PAIR NOT ENOUGH FOR SWEEP - Rapid City Rush
- OILERS TOP EAGLES THANKS TO FOUR-GOAL SECOND PERIOD - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Melt IceMen, 10-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Piccinich Helps Guide Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Recap: POTENT POWER PLAY HELPS WINGS SMOTHER FUEL. - Kalamazoo Wings
- SLOW START DOOMS FUEL IN LOSS TO WINGS - Indy Fuel
- Sunday Not Fun for Railers in 4-2 Home Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Corrin's Three-Point Night Leads Beast to Win over Royals - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling Sweeps Weekend in Worcester - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Silence Royals with Three in the Second, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Comeback Bid Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, January 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Have Unique Promotion to Finish Weekend vs. Beast - Reading Royals
- Rush Blast Utah on "Rush Fights Cancer Night" - Rapid City Rush
- CRANE HELPS SOLAR BEARS SECURE POINT IN OT LOSS. - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Ends Home Skid with Win vs. Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Win Third in a Row; Defeat Cincinnati 3-2. - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Rally Late, Stun Wings in Shootout. - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers' Comeback Too Little, Too Late on Pink Night. - Tulsa Oilers
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in 3-1 Loss at Wichita. - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: WINGS FALL VICTIM TO FURIOUS MALLARDS' COMEBACK. - Kalamazoo Wings
- MacAulay's Overtime GoalNets Florida a 3-2 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Besse Plays OT Hero as Ads Top Rays 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- 5,611 Fans at DCU Center Watch Railers Fall 5-2 to Nailers. - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Outlast Beast in Shootout. - Brampton Beast
- Muse Stars with Career-High 47 Saves in Come-From-Behind Shootout. - Reading Royals
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Ground Railers - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Frozen by IceMen, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Loan Garrett Meurs to Manitoba Moose - Wheeling Nailers
- Weekend Home Stand with Stingrays Wraps Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Look to Harness the Force of Their Fans on Star Wars Night - Reading Royals
- Sivak's Hat Trick Wins It in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Game Recap: Wings Explode for Eight Goals, Cruise Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Begin Weekend with 6-3 Win over Allen - Indy Fuel
- WINGS ROLL PAST MALLARDS - Quad City Mallards
- Late Tie-Breaking Goal Vaults Steelheads to Victory over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Storm Back in Last Minute, Fall in OT 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Wheel Past Nailers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Open Eleven Game Homestand with 5-3 Loss to IceMen - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale and Todd Lead Beast to Big Win Over Adirondack - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Maneuver Past Nailers, 3-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Receive Four from AHL Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Brandon Anselmini Reassigned to Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Acquire Defenseman Armstrong - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night
- Blaney Nets OT Winner as K-Wings Top Komets on Pink Ice
- Collins Returns to Kalamazoo Prior to Pink Ice