Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Minnesota United today announced that it has reached an agreement with FC Copenhagen of the Danish Superliga for midfielder Jan Gregus who will arrive as the Loons' third designated player in club history. The Slovakia international will join the club pending a physical and receipt of his P1 Visa and ITC. Gregus will occupy an international spot on Minnesota's roster.
"We are getting a really talented player who adds quality to an area of the field where we need to improve," said MNUFC Sporting Director Manny Lagos. "Jan has been playing very well for his club and his country and he has great intentions to lift our club. We believe he can be our anchor in the midfield. He is a technical player in the middle of the field who will be a connector both offensively and defensively. He's the type of player that we need in order to continue the development of our roster and our club."
"The one thing that sticks out is his composure on the ball," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "He's got a great range of passes, both short and long. He has a great stride to goal, and an imposing stature at 6 foot 3 inches. The fact that he's in his pomp - what we consider his prime - we think we have acquired him at the right time in his career. We know we've got excellent attacking pieces on the roster, but we need to be able to supply the ball to those pieces and we feel that Jan can be the supplier and connector from the midfield to the attack."
Gregus, 27, is a talented player with exceptional vision and technical ability on the ball. He began his professional career in Slovakia at his hometown club, FC Nitra, in 2009. Gregus spent the next seven years of his career from 2009-2015 playing for Banik Ostrava where he made 100 appearances, scoring four goals. In 2015 he joined FK Jablonec where he made 54 appearances, scoring nine goals and tallying two assists. In 2016 Gregus joined one of the biggest clubs in Europe, FC Copenhagen in the Danish Superliga, where he has appeared in 107 games, including appearing in the 2016 UEFA Champions League.
At the international level, Gregus debuted with the Slovakia national team on March 31, 2015 against Czech Republic. He has since been capped 22 times for the Slovakia senior team, scoring two goals.
If you're ready to stand and cheer, the best way to make sure you'll be in Allianz Field in 2019 is to become a season ticket member with supporters season tickets. Fans can also join The Preserve, the official Allianz Field waiting list and enjoy benefits now. For more information, visit MNUFC.COM.
Gregus will be introduced to fans and media in January.
Transaction: Minnesota United FC signs Jan Gregus to Designated Player contract.
Position: Central Midfield
Born: 1.29.1991 (27 years old)
Last club: FC Copenhagen
Birthplace: Nitra, Czechoslovakia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Select Justin McMaster, Nabilai Kibunguchy and Sean O'Hearn in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called up to U23 Team Ahead of Olympic Qualifying
- Minnesota United Sign Midfielder Wil Trapp
- MNUFC Acquires Callum Montgomery from FC Dallas in MLS Half-Day Trade Window
- MNUFC 2020 End of Season Roster Update