Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that goalkeeper Zack Steffen, midfielder Wil Trapp and forward Gyasi Zardes have received international call-ups from the United States Men's National Team ahead of its annual January Camp and a pair of friendlies in the United States to open 2019.
The United States trains in Chula Vista, California and then faces Panama in a friendly on Sunday, January 27 at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona at 8 p.m. ET. The contest is the first match under new U.S. Men's National Team Head Coach Gregg Berhalter. The United States then plays a friendly against Costa Rica on Saturday, February 2 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Avaya Stadium in San Jose, California.
Goalkeeper Zack Steffen has earned six caps with the U.S. Men's National Team, all in 2018, making his debut as a substitute in a friendly match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on January 28. He then started in a friendly against Paraguay on March 27. This summer, Steffen started in a friendly against France on June 9, registering seven saves en route to helping the U.S. earn a 1-1 draw. Steffen also started in friendlies against Brazil on September 7 and against Mexico on September 11. Against Mexico, Steffen earned his second shutout victory for the Stars and Stripes. Most recently, Steffen started in a friendly against Colombia on October 11. This week, Steffen was recognized as U.S. Soccer's Male Player of the Year. Steffen was also awarded Goalkeeper of the Year in Major League Soccer and was named to the 2018 MLS Best XI.
Crew SC captain Wil Trapp has earned 11 caps for the U.S. Men's National Team. He earned his first cap for the Stars and Stripes on January 28, 2015 in a friendly at Chile, entering as a second-half substitute. Trapp made his first start and captained the senior squad for the first time in a friendly match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on January 28. Most recently, he captained the Stars and Stripes in a friendly against England on November 15 before making a substitute appearance in a friendly against Italy on November 20. Trapp, who recently completed his sixth season with Crew SC, has made more than 150 regular-season starts for the Black & Gold. He was the recipient of Crew SC's OhioHealth Humanitarian of the Year award and was a finalist for Major League Soccer's Humanitarian of the Year honors.
Gyasi Zardes has earned 40 caps with the U.S. Men's National Team, scoring six goals. Zardes made his debut for the U.S. in a friendly against Chile on January 28, 2015, and he scored his first goal for the Stars and Stripes on June 5, 2015 against the Netherlands. This year, Zardes featured in a friendly match as a starter against Bosnia-Herzegovina on January 28 and in a friendly against Brazil on September 7. Most recently, Zardes started in a friendly against Mexico on September 11. Zardes, 27, led Crew SC in 2018 by scoring a career-high 19 goals in regular-season action, more than any other American player in MLS. In addition to setting a new career-high in goals, Zardes' 19 strikes moved him into third place on Crew SC's list of most goals scored in a single MLS regular season en route to becoming the first player in Club history to be named Major League Soccer's Comeback Player of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Minnesota United FC Tonight
- Columbus Crew SC's Remainder of 2020 Major League Soccer Regular Season Schedule Revealed
- Columbus Crew SC Joins Professional Sports Team-Led Voter Registration Coalition "Rally the Vote"
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight