MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs
December 20, 2018 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer today revealed the home openers for all 24 clubs for its 24th season in 2019 - a year that will feature the highly-anticipated launch of an expansion club in the Midwest and opening of the league's 20th stadium built for soccer, and culminate with the debut of MLS' thrilling, single-elimination playoff format.
When the season opens on March 2, FC Cincinnati, the league's 24th club, will play their first-ever MLS regular season game when they face Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field. In addition, 18 other clubs will begin their seasons that Saturday, including an Eastern Conference Semifinals rematch as Columbus Crew SC host the New York Red Bulls.
Opening weekend also is highlighted by an exciting Sunday doubleheader. On March 3, D.C. United get a visit from 2018 MLS Cup champions Atlanta United at Audi Field; and in the final game of the weekend, the Los Angeles Football Club -- coming off a highly successful inaugural season -- host Western Conference finalists Sporting Kansas City.
In Week 2 of the 2019 season, FC Cincinnati will be the visitors when reigning champions Atlanta United play their home opener at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sunday, March 10. Coming three months after Atlanta United's triumph at MLS Cup before more than 73,000 fans, the club's home opener will be a night to remember.
The moment the impassioned soccer fans of Cincinnati have been waiting for arrives on Sunday, March 17 at Nippert Stadium, when FC Cincinnati play their first MLS home opener. The opponent is worthy of the historic moment: the 2018 MLS Cup finalist Portland Timbers.
The 2019 season also brings the opening of Allianz Field, the world-class stadium for Minnesota United FC, who already sold out all season tickets and have started a lengthy waiting list. Allianz Field, which becomes the 20th stadium built or renovated for soccer in MLS, will open on Saturday, April 13, when Minnesota United FC host New York City FC.
The reopening of Providence Park, which is undergoing a 4,000-seat expansion, will take place on Saturday, June 1, when the Portland Timbers have their home opener against LAFC.
During the 2019 MLS regular season, each club will play 34 games, including 17 home games and 17 away games. Teams will face each of their conference opponents twice during the season, with one game at home and one game away. All teams will face each non-conference opponent once.
The complete regular season schedule, along with the national television schedules for the U.S. and Canada, will be announced in January.
2019 Major League Soccer Regular Season Home Openers
All times are EST. Home teams listed first. Schedule is subject to change.
Saturday, March 2, 2019
1 p.m. - Philadelphia Union vs. Toronto FC (Talen Energy Stadium)
2:30 p.m. - Orlando City SC vs. New York City FC (Orlando City Stadium)
4:30 p.m. - Columbus Crew SC vs. New York Red Bulls (MAPFRE Stadium)
4:30 p.m. - FC Dallas vs. New England Revolution (Toyota Stadium)
6 p.m. - Houston Dynamo vs. Real Salt Lake (BBVA Compass Stadium)
6 p.m. - Colorado Rapids vs. Portland Timbers (Dick's Sporting Goods Park)
6 p.m. - Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Minnesota United FC (BC Place)
8 p.m. - LA Galaxy vs. Chicago Fire (Dignity Health Sports Park)
10 p.m. - Seattle Sounders FC vs. FC Cincinnati (CenturyLink Field)
10 p.m. - San Jose Earthquakes vs. Montreal Impact (Avaya Stadium)
Sunday, March 3, 2019
6 p.m. - D.C. United vs. Atlanta United (Audi Field)
8 p.m. - LAFC vs. Sporting Kansas City (Banc of California Stadium)
Saturday, March 9, 2019
1 p.m. - Chicago Fire vs. Orlando City SC (SeatGeek Stadium)
2 p.m. - New England Revolution vs. Columbus Crew SC (Gillette Stadium)
6 p.m. - Real Salt Lake vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Rio Tinto Stadium)
Sunday, March 10, 2019
3 p.m. - New York City FC vs. D.C. United (Yankee Stadium)
3 p.m. - Sporting Kansas City vs. Philadelphia Union (Children's Mercy Park)
5 p.m. - Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)
Saturday, March 16, 2019
TBD - New York Red Bulls vs. San Jose Earthquakes (Red Bull Arena)
Sunday, March 17, 2019
1:30 p.m. - Toronto FC vs. New England Revolution (BMO Field)
5 p.m. - FC Cincinnati vs. Portland Timbers (Nippert Stadium)
Saturday, April 13, 2019
1 p.m. - Montreal Impact vs. Columbus Crew SC (Saputo Stadium)
5 p.m. - Minnesota United FC vs. NYCFC (Allianz Field)
Saturday, June 1, 2019
10:30 p.m. - Portland Timbers vs. LAFC (Providence Park)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.