Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups
CHESTER, Pa. - In conjunction with U.S. Soccer, Philadelphia Union announced today that Homegrown defenders Mark McKenzie and Auston Trusty have been named by the U.S. Men's National Team for call-ups in advance of the team's upcoming January Training Camp, which runs from January 6 - February 3. The camp includes friendlies against Panama (January 27) and Costa Rica (February 2).
This is the first-ever senior call-up for both players. McKenzie (Bear, DE) and Trusty (Media, PA) both made their MLS debuts this past season; the former is the youngest player on the full USMNT roster for this camp and both players are among a group of six called up today who are age-eligible for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
McKenzie and Trusty will be available to members of the media via conference call at 1:00 p.m. ET today to discuss receiving their first-ever USMNT senior call-ups. Members of the media may join the call by dialing 800-582-3014 and entering the code 17252609, followed by the pound sign (#) for access to the call. Please remember to mute your line for the duration of the call, unless asking a question. Ryan Schwepfinger of Philadelphia Union Communications will moderate. Timing and availability are subject to change.
McKenzie has previously featured for the U.S. Under-20s, recently winning the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, scoring goals against the U.S. Virgin Islands (November 3) and Suriname (November 9) in the group stage. He started the first match of the qualification stage, vs. Costa Rica (November 16), in which the U.S. won and clinched a berth in the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
In the Semifinals, vs. Honduras (November 19), he started and served as captain in a 1-0 win. He also started the final vs. Mexico, a 2-0 win (November 21) that saw the USA repeat as CONCACAF U-20 champions. He has previously earned caps for the U-18s, while also attending camps for the U-16s and U-15s.
Trusty has also featured for the United States U-20 National Team. He was named to the roster for the 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, where he started the final match of the Classification Stage against El Salvador (March 3), a 2-1 win for the U.S. that guaranteed them qualification to the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He came on as a second-half substitute in the final of the competition, which the U.S. won in penalties.
He made his first appearance at the 2017 U-20 World Cup by coming on as a substitute in the Round of 16 vs. New Zealand (June 1), scoring a goal as part of a 6-0 win. In doing so, he became the first active member of Philadelphia Union to score a goal at a FIFA World Cup (senior, U-20, or U-17). He also came on as a late substitute in the Quarterfinal match against Venezuela (June 4). Previously, he was a part of the U.S. U-17 squad at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union win first playoff game in franchise history
- Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards
- Philadelphia Union Unveil Bespoke Playoff Clothing Collection
- Philadelphia Union and Chick-Fil-A Partner to Feed Cadets Ahead of Army-Navy Cup VIII