Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo will open the 2019 season, fueled by 76, on Saturday, March 2 when they host Real Salt Lake at 5 p.m. CST at BBVA Compass Stadium, the club and Major League Soccer announced today.
The Dynamo have gone 8-1-4 in home openers during the club's 13-year history and are 6-0-1 in home openers at BBVA Compass Stadium. A year ago, the Dynamo opened the 2018 season with a 4-0 win over Atlanta United FC, dealing the eventual MLS Cup champions their worst defeat of the season.
Tickets for Opening Day will go on sale Friday, Dec. 21 at 10 a.m. online at HoustonDynamo.com, by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL) or at the stadium box office, with prices starting at just $24.
Under the leadership of Head Coach Wilmer Cabrera, the Dynamo captured the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championship - the first in club history - in September and earned a spot in the 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League. Houston will open its 2019 campaign on Tuesday, Feb. 19 when the Dynamo travel to Guatemala to face CD Guastatoya for the first leg of the home-and-home Round of 16 series.
The 2018 Dynamo showcased an electric and entertaining style of play as they scored a club-record 58 goals, setting new scoring records in back-to-back years under Cabrera. La Naranja will return players who accounted for 50 of those 58 years a year ago, led by 23-year-old forward Mauro Manotas, who set club single-season scoring records in 2018 with 25 goals across all competitions and 19 in league play.
Alongside the Colombian native will be 22-year-old Honduran forward Alberth Elis, who scored 11 goals last season and tallied 10 assists to become the first player in club history to hit double digits in both categories in the same season. Fellow Honduran Romell Quioto added six goals and 12 assists, while Argentinian midfielder Tomás Martínez chipped in 13 assists and five goals of his own.
Real Salt Lake reached the Western Conference Semifinals in 2018 and qualified for the postseason after Houston defeated the Los Angeles Galaxy 3-2 on Decision Day presented by AT&T on Oct. 28. Last season, RSL defeated the Dynamo in both encounters, winning each by a 2-1 margin.
Much like the Dynamo, Salt Lake was one of the most prolific teams in the league, scoring 55 goals on the year, just behind Houston in goals scored during the regular season. A balance of experience and youth led Salt Lake to sixth place in the Western Conference in 2018. Midfielder Damir Kreilach earned the club's Golden Boot and MVP honors in 2018 and combined with midfielder Albert Rusnák for 22 goals and 15 assists last season. RSL boast two of the league's most experienced players in goalkeeper Nick Rimando and midfielder Kyle Beckerman, who have combined for 948 league appearances in their storied careers. With those two stalwarts leading the way, Real Salt Lake has advanced to the postseason nine times in the last 11 seasons.
The full schedule for the 2019 Dynamo season, fueled by 76, will be released in January. Dynamo full season memberships are available for purchase at HoustonDynamo365.com with prices starting at only $320. Full season memberships include all 17 regular season MLS home games along with the BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup, complimentary admission to select U.S. Open Cup matches and unique members-only events and experiences throughout the year.
Through the Dynamo 365 program, season ticket members have access to a year-round membership platform that includes personalized events based on the way each fan uses his or her tickets. The Dynamo 365 Membership is in addition to all existing Member benefits, such as savings on tickets, playoffs priority and access to gameday experiences.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Las Vegas Lights FC Clash
- Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 2-1 on Late Goal
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Tomas MartÃnez Named to MLS Team of the Week
- Dynamo Stay Unbeaten with 2-1 Win over San Jose