Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC will commence their ninth season in Major League Soccer when they host Minnesota United FC on Saturday, March 2 at BC Place. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. PT.
TICKETS: Save 40% with the "Caps Holiday Pack for the Home Opener The 'Caps will then head to Utah for their second match of the season, facing Real Salt Lake on March 9 at Rio Tinto Stadium (3 p.m. PT). MLS announced the home openers for all 24 clubs on Wednesday. The complete regular season schedule, along with the national television schedules for the U.S. and Canada, will be announced in January.
Whitecaps FC will take the field for the first time led by Marc Dos Santos, who was hired as the club's new head coach in November.
"We're building a team that will be proud to wear the crest on their chest," said Dos Santos. "There is a true passion for the club in Vancouver, and that brings a big responsibility to set a very high standard and live up to that support. We want to hear the fans in the stadium as we build towards a future that we hope will once again bring a championship to this city."
READ: MLS announces new playoff format starting in 2019 The 2019 season marks the 40th anniversary of Vancouver's 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl title, when the "Caps famously brought the city a major North American championship, leading to an outpouring of more than 100,000 people packing downtown for the parade.
Whitecaps FC finished 2018 with a 13W-13L-8D record in MLS play, including a thrilling 4-2 victory over MNUFC on July 29 at BC Place.
Vancouver are 2W-1L-1D against the Loons in MLS play and 5W-2L-1D in their home openers since joining MLS. Last year, the "Caps defeated Canadian rivals Montreal Impact 2-1 at BC Place in front of 27,837 fans, setting a record for the highest attended home opener in club history, dating back to the first season in 1974.
Home Opener packs are available in time for the holidays featuring two tickets and a scarf for $90, or four tickets and two scarves for $175. Fans can join the celebration for the entirety of the anniversary season by securing their 2019 season ticket membership. Visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets to save 7.9%, available for a limited time only.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- The Village Stand Sold out for Season Opener
- Cavallini ends preseason by scoring in four straight matches, Montero scores winner
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2020 International Spot from Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Welcome GE Appliances Canada as Newest Partner
- Cavallini, Adnan score to lead 'Caps to victory over Revs in preseason friendly