Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo selected midfielder Tommy McNamara in the second stage of the Major League Soccer Re-Entry Draft, the club and the league announced today.
By selecting him in the Re-Entry Draft, the Dynamo obtain the exclusive right to negotiate a contract with McNamara for the 2019 season.
McNamara, 27, has made 92 career appearances in MLS regular-season play and has started 72 matches. After starting in six matches for Chivas USA as a rookie, McNamara joined New York City FC in the 2014 MLS Expansion Draft and has spent the last four seasons in the Bronx. Playing primarily in the center of the park, McNamara recorded 13 goals and 12 assists for NYCFC.
The West Nyack, New York native helped NYCFC advance to the postseason in each of the last three seasons, finishing in the top three of the Eastern Conference standings in each season. He enjoyed his most productive season in 2016 when he set career highs in appearances (30), starts (28), minutes (2,229) and assists (nine) and tied a career-high with five goals.
McNamara entered Major League Soccer as the 20th overall pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas USA out of Clemson. He started his collegiate career at Brown University and earned a bachelor's in economics from the Ivy League institution before transferring to Clemson to obtain his master's degree. In his lone season with the Tigers, he led the team with seven goals and had eight assists, earning first-team All-ACC and NSCAA All-South honors.
Earlier today, Major League Soccer announced that Houston will open the 2019 season at BBVA Compass Stadium against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, March 2 at 5 p.m. CST. Tickets for that match start at just $24 and will go on sale Friday morning at 10 a.m. CST at HoustonDynamo.com, by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL) or at the BBVA Compass Stadium box office.
Dynamo full season memberships are available for purchase at HoustonDynamo365.com with prices starting at only $320. Full season memberships include all 17 regular season MLS home games along with the BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup, complimentary admission to select U.S. Open Cup matches and unique members-only events and experiences throughout the year.
Transaction: Houston Dynamo select midfielder Thomas McNamara in Stage Two of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft.
FULL NAME: Thomas Liam McNamara
BIRTH DATE: February 6, 1991 (27 years old)
BIRTHPLACE: West Nyack, New York
HOMETOWN: West Nyack, New York
PREVIOUS CLUB: New York City FC
FIFA ELIGIBILITY: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Mexican Powers Club America & C.F. Monterrey to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty
- Match Between Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna at BBVA Stadium Cancelled
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Named to Audi MLS Team of the Week
- Dynamo Send Beasley off with 4-2 Win over LA Galaxy