Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has signed Nick Mars, known by the handle TheMarsBars11, as the Rave Green's official competitive esports representative for 2019. Mars signed with the club following his victory in Sounders FC's first-ever open esports tournament, which consisted of an online competition narrowing the field to 16 gamers who then advanced to a final round held on December 4.
"As Sounders FC enters its second year in the esports realm in 2019, we were really searching for a competitive representative while keeping local ties," said Sounders FC Chief Operating Officer Bart Wiley. "Our new tournament-style qualifying format brought together some great players and we're excited to have Nick joining the team following his convincing victory. He's going to be a great ambassador and competitor for Sounders esports."
Mars, 24, is a native of Tacoma and a born and raised Sounders fan, holding season tickets since the team's beginning in MLS. He grew up playing youth soccer in the greater Seattle area, including matches against Jordan Morris, but has since become more successful on the virtual pitch. Mars was the winner of the 2017 MLS March to Soccer event in New York and competed in the Vancouver Regional Series that year, as well.
"I've been a Sounders fan since I was born, so it's a dream come true to represent Sounders FC in eMLS," said Mars. "My gaming style is very direct; I like to score a lot of goals. I'm very confident in my gaming abilities and look forward to competing in Rave Green."
Mars will represent Sounders FC next month at eMLS League Series One competition in Los Angeles, followed by eMLS League Series Two in Dallas in February. eMLS Cup is set to take place in March at a location to be determined.
2019 marks the second year that Sounders FC has participated in the world of competitive esports. Last season, the team was one of 19 MLS clubs that took part in the inaugural eMLS Cup, a venture of eMLS, which was launched by Major League Soccer and EA SPORTS in January of this year to provide a unique and interactive avenue for the FIFA community to engage with MLS and for gaming fans to show their passion for their MLS club of choice. For more information about Sounders FC's involvement in esports and gaming, fans can visit SoundersFC.com/esports.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2018
- Earthquakes Acquire Brazilian Midfielder Judson on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Matt Lampson in 2nd Stage of MLS Re-Entry Draft - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United Adds Designated Player Jan Gregus - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Nick Mars, TheMarsBars11, as Club's Official 2019 Esports Gamer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Select MF Tommy McNamara in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Ohio South Join Forces in Youth Development - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Announces New Club Spaces at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Announce 2018 Club Awards - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Launches 2019 MLS Campaign at Home on March 2 - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2019 MLS Season at D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Philadelphia Union Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC to Open 2019 Season at Home March 2 vs. FC Cincinnati - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati to Play First MLS Game at Nippert Stadium on March 17 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls 2019 Home Opener Announced - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Open 2019 Season March 2 against Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake to Face Vancouver Whitecaps in 2019 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Will Face New England Revolution in 2019 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Announce 2019 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New York Red Bulls for Opening Match of 2019 Season on Saturday, March 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy to Open 2019 MLS Season March 2 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Set to Open 2019 MLS Season on the Road vs. Philadelphia Union, Then Host New England Revolution in Home Opener - Toronto FC
- LAFC to Open 2019 MLS Regular Season March 3 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Impact to Play Home Opener at Stade Saputo on April 13 - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC to Kick off 2019 MLS Season March 2 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes to Host Montreal Impact in Almeyda's Debut on March 2 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in 2019 Home Opener at Providence Park on June 1 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Allianz Field Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - MLS
- MLS Announces 2019 Home Openers for All 24 Clubs - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Face Orlando City SC in 2019 Home Opener on March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville MLS Signs Record Goal Scorer Cameron Lancaster - Nashville SC
- Cristian Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for January Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Juan Fernando Caicedo - New England Revolution
- Full-Back Daniel Lovitz Selected by the United States - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called Up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty Earn First-Ever United States National Team Senior Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Aaron Long Receives USMNT January Camp Call-Up - New York Red Bulls
- Greg Garza Called up for U.S. Men's National Team's Annual January Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Duo Called into U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Camp - Chicago Fire
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for January Training Camp - Portland Timbers
- Reggie Cannon Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse Called into USMNT January Camp - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill
- Sounders FC Selects Seattle University Midfielder Julian Avila-Good in Third Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Sounders FC Selects Two Players on First Day of 2020 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas
- Sounders FC Holds Two Second Round Picks in Thursday's 2020 MLS SuperDraft